Newzulu.ca is a crowd-sourced news wire service, based primarily on freelance journalism, as well as eyewitness and social content from around the globe. We verify stories from more than 100,000 contributors in 150 countries.
We are looking for someone to head the outreach and cultivation of a thriving community of news contributors in Toronto. The primary responsibilities of the Newzulu Toronto Editor will be to:
1. Fact-check and verify to the highest journalistic standards incoming story submissions from contributors.
2. Repackage stories for our wire partners and media clients.
3. Manage the dynamic Toronto community of Newzulu contributors (Newzulu.ca) and expand it exponentially.
The Newzulu.ca Toronto Editor will work closely with the Newzulu Global Editor-in-Chief based in Paris.
Daily tasks and desired qualities include, but are not limited to:
* Strong editorial skills: Reviewing, validating and publishing contributions (photos, videos and articles) on-the-go, identifying and designating contributions with high news value
* Editorial and strategic management of the Newzulu.ca site
* Highly connected to the daily and long-term news agenda in the Toronto area and reactiveness to news stories as they break/unfold; issuing “Newscalls” to contributors and finding new potential contributors
* Collaborate with media sales team of our partner newswires and the Newzulu Paris team to ensure that contributions are published as quickly as possible, distributed and sold on the broadest possible basis within Canada and in overseas markets.
* Management of a creative and buzz-worthy social media presence
* Be a model Newzulu contributor, by submitting interesting and well-produced stories on a regular basis
* Impeccable English spelling and grammar (MET), French and other languages a plus
The ideal candidate for this position is a high-level energy
journalist-entrepreneur. We’re looking for someone with a passion for
citizen journalism and news innovation, who is dynamic, can work
independently and is a creative problem-solver.
The candidate must have a sharp news sense and be able to identify and
pursue newsworthy stories. Excellent written and verbal communication
skills are a must. You must be meticulous about your work. A background
in visual journalism is a big plus.
We’d like to hear from candidates with a proven track record of excellence
in managing contributors and working under pressure and have solid
social media community management skills.