The Canadian Press
|Political Reporter, Ottawa (Parliament Hill)
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: February 14, 2017
Deadline: March 7, 2017
Ottawa bureau of The Canadian Press is looking for an experienced political reporter
to cover Parliament Hill as well as energy and environmental policy. The
successful candidate will have a track record of strong and colourful writing,
a persistent passion for the rough and tumble of politics, and have an aptitude
for connecting the dots to explain to the broadest possible audience what is
happening of importance on Parliament Hill. This reporter will join an esteemed
group of hard-hitting journalists and will excel at breaking political news mainly
by networking with politicians, decision-makers and other key players. This
reporter will also have demonstrated a successful history in using the Access
to Information Act, data and deep research to produce exclusive stories on a
frequent basis, as well as an aptitude for shoe-leather journalism.
bureau has a shared goal of providing the public and our clients with the best
political coverage in the country every day.
- Write, edit and gather
multimedia content for CP’s various services (print, online, broadcast and
- Deliver exclusive and enterprise
material on a frequent and regular basis.
- Research and seek out key contacts involved
in federal politics, policy and the energy industry.
- Report breaking news using all
platforms including social media.
- Use Access to Information, knowledge
of government procedures, and familiarity with data and documents to break news.
- Use social media to track and verify environmental
and energy developments within and outside of Canada.
- Collaborate with colleagues to share
tips, confirm rumours and develop context for news.
- Work with colleagues to examine data
and documents, with the aim of developing broad and hard-hitting stories using
alternative story-telling methods.
- Distill large amounts of information
to determine key and important information under time constraints.
- Occasional shift work
required, including evenings and weekends.
- Occasional travel.
- At least five years of solid
experience in a politics-oriented newsroom.
- Experience using different news platforms, including
broadcast, video and multimedia.
- Ability to work efficiently in intense environment with a high
degree of public scrutiny
- Ability to work under extreme deadline pressures.
- Proven ability to write with flair.
- Proven ability to break news.
- Deep familiarity with Access to
- Ability to disseminate complex
information to a general audience.
- Ability to work both independently and
within a team.
- Ability to edit and improve colleagues’
work on short notice.
- Self-starter who is able to take
initiative and develop story ideas independently.
- Bilingual preferred.
Please click here to apply by March
Please include links
to clipping and samples of work in your cover letter. Please state you found this job on JEFF GAULIN'S JOURNALISM JOB BOARD.
The Canadian Press is an equal-opportunity employer, supports the
goals of employment equity and believes that everyone should be able to
contribute to the company's success in accordance with his or her abilities. We
especially welcome applications from women, Aboriginal persons, members of
visible minorities and persons with a disability.
The Canadian Press
36 King St. E.
Web address: http://www.thecanadianpress.com