Metro English Canada
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: March 1, 2017
Deadline: April 1, 2017
Metro Ottawa is looking for an experienced reporter with a track record of publishing breaking and unique stories with personality. Reporting to the managing editor, the successful candidate will have excellent researching, interviewing, photography and writing skills. Strong social media skills and the ability to work under pressure are essential parts of the job. Video and photo editing and basic coding skills are assets.
What you will do:
- Generate story ideas and cover assigned stories in a range of areas: e.g., Breaking news, city hall, police, court, human interest, features, entertainment, and sports.
- Produce photography and/or video to accompany stories.
- Help the managing editor plan compelling packages in print and online.
What you bring:
- Pre-existing relationships with a wide variety of sources
- Insights and ideas — about the workings of Ottawa’s many official institutions, and about the city’s unique culture
- Journalistic research skills (e.g., access-to-information filings)
- Excellent communication skills (writing, interviewing, pitching)\
- A working command of French, such that you can interview sources and read official documents
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in journalism or equivalent experience
- Five years of newspaper reporting experience (preferably)
- Newspaper photo and video experience (preferably)
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Self-confidence, assertiveness, industriousness, and ambition
- Facility with social media
- Familiarity with web CMS’s required (basic HTML experience is an asset)
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the Company of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply online, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, at: