Queens Park Briefing
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: March 9, 2017
Deadline: March 31, 2017
QP Briefing is a paid membership-based news source, covering all political and legislative movements at the provincial level.
QP Briefing memberships are held by stakeholders, professionals, business leaders, and Ontario parliamentarians. Our team provides deep analytic content for a wide array of high level decision makers, standing at the intersection of private and public sector affairs. QP Briefing’s in depth coverage keeps our members at the forefront of complex policy issues, political advancements and private sector affairs.
You’ll be joining a close team that delivers exhaustive coverage of the policies and politics of the Ontario government. You'll specialize in a beat, write insightful and in-depth articles on public policy, and break news as much as possible. Our subscribers include top decision-makers inside and outside government, and they rely on our coverage to stay current on the issues big and small arising out of the legislature.
To succeed here, you'll need an in depth knowledge of the legislative process and the current private and public sector players. You'll follow bills from introduction to royal assent, cover the key players in the biggest debates in the province, and keep a watchful eye for the overlooked stories that deserve coverage. We're looking for a reporter who has the skills to develop sources, writes analytics and pithy articles, and possesses an endless appetite for provincial politics.
- Produce daily articles focused on the Ontario legislature and its stakeholders
- Take responsibility for multiple daily and weekly reoccurring features
- Report on breaking news, nurture developing stories and cover events
- Develop, organize and present innovative approaches to quickly turn around news coverage
- Seek out material from a range of sources and contacts within the government sector
- Monitor social media in real time and actively use platforms for newsgathering, reporting and promotion
- Attend relevant industry events for reporting and networking purposes
- Build strong relationships with decision makers, OPS and private sector stakeholders
Location: Ontario Legislative Building – Queen’s Park
- A journalism degree or diploma
- A strong understanding of the current health care climate in Ontario
- A demonstrated passion for political news
- A strong interest in the legislative process and its key players
- Ability to source and write quality news stories and features
- Ability to produce concise, clear and accurate copy at a pace that reflects our readerships demand.
- Excellent time-management skills
The company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the company of your requirements.
Interested candidates should apply online here, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board: