|Sports Reporter Summer Internship (part-time)
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: March 13, 2017
Deadline: April 15, 2017
Salary: $1,500 for term
Application Deadline: April 14, 2017
Internship Dates: May 8-Sept. 3, 2017
Salary: $1,500 for term of work
The Ottawa Sportspage, a monthly not-for-profit newspaper devoted to local amateur sports news, is currently seeking a part-time summer intern sports reporter for the period of May 8-Sept. 3, 2017.
The intern's primary focus will be to cover sports events, conduct interviews (in person, by phone or online), take photos when necessary, and compose stories for the newspaper or its web site, as determined in consultation with the Editor. Evening and weekend work will be required from time to time.
As this is a part-time position without fixed hours or a requirement to be based at an office, there is sufficient flexibility for the intern to pursue other part-time employment or studies. Access to a car is not required, but would make the intern's job much easier since travel to events will be required at times. Preference will be given to candidates already residing in the Ottawa area.
The internship start date is May 8, running until Sept. 3. The intern will be contracted to complete 30 assignments within that time period at the rate of $50 each, for a total of $1,500 for the full term of work, which will be paid in monthly portions.
The successful candidate will:
- Have journalistic writing experience and a knowledge of newspaper style
- Have a passion for sports and be familiar with a wide range of sports
- Be personable and confident in interacting with sources
- Be resourceful and have the drive to track down what's needed for stories in an amateur sport setting
- Be well-organized and capable of managing logistics effectively
- Be able to handle many assignments at once and meet all deadlines
- Find good story ideas and angles for stories
- Have the ability to take photos as required
- Enrolment in post-secondary journalism program or related field & student newspaper experience are definite assets
Further experience in page layout, design, video, social media and our access-to-sport initiative will also be possible, as per the intern’s interest.
Phone interviews for select candidates will be conducted the week of April 17. As part of the interview process, finalists will be asked to complete a story assignment for May’s newspaper. The successful candidate will be notified in early May.
Stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, interested candidates should submit their applications – including CV and writing/photography samples (in .pdf format or online links), and a cover letter if desired – to email@example.com by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 14.
Dan Plouffe, editor
345 Meadowbreeze Dr.
Tel: (613) 261-5838
Web address: http://SportsOttawa.com