Alberta Federation of Labour
|Director of Communications
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posted: March 20, 2017
Deadline: March 29, 2017
Salary: Competitive Salary
About the AFL
For more than 100 years, unions all over Alberta have worked together under the umbrella of the Alberta Federation of Labour.
The AFL currently has 28 members unions representing more than 170,000 workers in a wide range of occupations all over the province.
Through research, advocacy, lobbying and direct action, the Federation has improved working conditions, protected human rights, and helped make Alberta a better place to live, work and play.
The position of Director of Communications core responsibilities include communication, public relations and campaign development. The director of communications will assist in the planning and implementation of communication materials and strategies that support the AFL's strategic objectives.
We are looking for someone who can think critically and strategically and can function both independently and as part of a team. Ideal candidates have the following skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in the labour movement;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement;
- High competency in a project and issue communications and media relations;
- Familiarity with story research and writing, editing, photography and video production management;
- Ability to produce news releases, publications and various promotional materials;
- Excellent skills at producing content and managing content on various social media platforms.
- Ability to work well with a broad range of people and entities;
- Motivation and drive to excel in this position;
The Director of Communications will report to the President, serve as a member of our executive staff and interact with our affiliate unions and partners.
Requirement and Qualifications
The Successful candidates will have a Bachelor's Degree and several years experience in Communications, or have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. A commitment to the goals and objectives of the trade union movement is essential and must be demonstrated.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a member of Unifor 445. A competitive salary and benefits are attached pursuant to the collective agreement.
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter and the names of references to:
Alberta Federation of Labour Human Resources Commitee
c/o Siobhan Vipond, Secretary Treasurer
Subject: HR:Director of Communications Job Application
Note: Only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
The AFL is committed to considering applicants who identify as part of an equity group including workers of colour, aboriginal workers, LGBT workers, woman workers,young workers and workers with disabilities. We urge members withing an equity group, experienced activists, organizers and labour representatives of all backgrounds, to apply.
Alberta Federation of Labour
#300, 10408 - 124 Street