The Anglican Church of Canada
|Anglican Journal Staff Writer
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: July 13, 2017
Deadline: August 8, 2017
The staff writer for the Anglican Journal writes news and feature stories for the newspaper and publication website; copy edits and proofreads articles; and helps manage and oversee the newspaper’s website and social media platforms.
Typical duties and responsibilities include writing news and features, generating story ideas, taking photos/videos, writing headlines and photo captions, enhancing the Journal’s presence on social media, assisting the editor and taking part in the production of the newspaper as assigned.
This position is one of four who report to the Editor, Anglican Journal. The other three positions are: Assistant to the Editor, full-time Staff Writer, and Art Director. Work is performed largely under self-direction, within a regular office environment. A high degree of consultation is normative. Attendance at offsite meetings, with occasional overnight stays, as assigned. Travel is normally 10% of time (up to 3 weeks per year) both domestic and overseas.
The Journal is published by the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, an independent, self-governing church in communion with the worldwide Anglican Communion.
The Anglican Church of Canada celebrates the gospel of Jesus Christ in worship and action, and has a diverse and vibrant worship life reflecting the geographic, ethnic and linguistic communities from which we come.
The General Synod, as part of the wider church, fosters ecumenical and interfaith partnerships and relationships that are consistent with the Anglican Church of Canada’s vision and ministry.
- A degree in Journalism or Communications, or closely related field;
- 3-5 years of professional experience writing and/or editing for a newspaper or magazine;
- Ability to write in a manner that is clear, concise, and accessible, together with a sharp eye for accuracy and detail;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), with the ability to assess information, situations, read, analyze and interpret information related to a wide range of complex issues;
- Demonstrated expertise in writing and posting articles on the web, including social media experience;
- Familiarity with the Anglican Church of Canada and the work of the General Synod an asset, in order to understand, interpret and communicate information to the constituency and the general public; familiar with and sensitive to the ethos of the Anglican Church, recognizing the variety of theological perspectives and how that influences decisions;
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills, with the ability to work well under pressure and with changing priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with different types of people. Must have the capacity to listen well.
Send a cover letter stating that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Job Board and resume to:
The Anglican Church of Canada
Web address: http://www.anglican.ca/