Communications & Outreach Specialist
Positive Energy (Ottawa University)
|Communications & Outreach Specialist
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: August 11, 2017
Deadline: September 1, 2017
Salary: $66,735 to $84,300
- Responsible for overall communications planning/implementation and key outreach activities in support of the Institute’s research, outreach and training/development programs.
- Responsible for engaging with media, policy makers, and other Institute target audiences to develop and advance events, to profile and disseminate the Institute’s research, and to pursue partnerships with external stakeholders.
- Establish a strong contact management system and proactively engage target audiences with a variety of communications and outreach tools in order to implement the Institute’s project communications plans.
- Act as resource person to members of the Institute on inquiries related to communications to ensure compliance with established policies and standards.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Institute.
Position reports to the Director, Institute for Science, Society and Policy at the University of Ottawa.
- Develop and execute an annual communications plan that supports the
Institute’s communications needs for various internal and external target audiences. To this
end, write content for annual reports, news bulletins, brochures, speeches, web, social media
and press releases and coordinate/proofread translation. Perform needs and cost/benefit
analyses of proposed communications plans to support the annual budget planning of the
Institute and ensure that related activities comply with budget limits.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies for the Institute in accordance with
University and Faculty standards. To this end, design marketing material, and collaborate with
graphic designers and photography and printing resources in its production to promote the
Institute while ensuring compliance with graphic standards. Perform needs and cost/benefit
analyses of proposed marketing plans to support the annual budget planning of the Institute
and ensure that related activities comply with budget limits.
- Be knowledgeable about the Institute’s projects, programs and ongoing activities in
order to promote them to target audiences and increase audience awareness and interest in the
Institute’s activities. Maintain awareness of different target audience priorities in order to
effectively translate the Institute’s projects, programs and ongoing activities. Foster and
promote partnerships and collaborations with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Institute including budget
planning and management, and office management. Identify needs for policies and procedures
to provide operational clarity, efficiency and management of risk. Coordinate,
undertake/supervise and plan activities involving clerical tasks and budgeting functions with the
designated administrative staff of the Office of the Vice-Dean, Research.
Media and stakeholder relations:
- Develop performance indicators and monitor performance (e.g., by
executing consultations and surveys) in order to maximize the effectiveness of marketing and
communications activities/products of the Institute. Analyze results and coordinate
improvements to optimize the use of marketing and communications tools.
Web/social media content management:
- Act as the first point of contact for relations with media,
policy makers and other stakeholders to facilitate responses to media requests and make
referrals to subject matter experts when necessary. Participate in internal and external meetings and events in order to facilitate outreach, engagement, and collaboration. Promote
research, developments, and ongoing activities with the media and external stakeholders.
- Anticipate requirements and generate web/social
media content to best meet ongoing business needs while ensuring compliance with web,
official language and accessibility standards and established policies. Develop and evaluate
performance indicators for web/social media usage and usability, and coordinate improvements
to maximize the effectiveness of the Institute’s web/social media sites.
- Lead all aspects of planning and execution for small- to mid-sized
events and other special events in order to project a positive image of the Institute, faculty
and/or the university. To this end, working with Institute staff or members, identify key activities,
elements and timelines, ensure event logistics are planned and run smoothly, and monitor and
communicate progress. Develop event budgets and ensure that all activities take place within
- Knowledge of marketing and communications principles normally acquired through a
post-secondary degree in a related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience in a similar role
- Academic training or experience in fields related to the work of the Institute would be an asset
- Advanced knowledge of computer systems and software including graphic design and web
applications, contact management systems, social media platforms, spreadsheets, databases,
Internet and e-mail. Knowledge of Drupal and Constant Contact would be an asset.
- Knowledge of web accessibility guidelines and experience in their application
- Experience in developing and implementing a communications plan
- Experience giving presentations to large groups in both official languages
- Experience in event planning and organization
- Experience managing projects
- Strong public relations, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability and availability to occasionally work outside of norm
Interested candidates should apply online here - stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.