Clean Energy Canada
|Engagement Manager (1-year contract)
Location: Victoria or Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: November 8, 2017
An innovative and experienced engagement manager with strong communications instincts and a proven track record building both digital and real-world networks of citizens committed to speaking up for positive social change.
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who follows climate and energy news closely and is motivated to build awareness and support for clean energy solutions.
About This Job
The Engagement Manager is responsible for building networks of organizations and engaged citizens speaking out for clean energy solutions and strong climate policy, using a variety of online and offline tools and tactics. This role requires strong people skills, leadership abilities and strategic thinking, along with a background in online and/or real-world organizing for political or social change initiatives.The Engagement Manager will manage our Digital Communications Specialist, work closely with our Senior Communications Specialist, and collaborate with and report to the Director of Communications.The preferred location for the position is Clean Energy Canada’s Victoria, B.C., office but Vancouver-based candidates will also be considered.
To excel in this role, you need to be:
About Clean Energy Canada
- A digital native with proven experience developing, executing and measuring community-building campaigns, with knowledge of contemporary best-practices in digital campaigns and engagement organizing strategies and tactics (including digital ad buys).
- A network builder, with experience convening and collaborating with other organizations and individuals.
- An event planner, capable of convening both online (webinar) and offline (in-person) speaker events that deliver timely, compelling insight and information from clean energy leaders from politics, business and civil society.
- A natural storyteller with a knack for understanding how to make technical material or industry news accessible, relevant and actionable for various target audiences.
- A data-driven strategist, capable of interpreting complex analytics and adapting tactics and plans according to emerging trends and insights.
- A detail-oriented doer who takes initiative and gets things done efficiently without compromising the quality or accuracy of their work.
- A creative and critical thinker who thrives when experimenting and adapting to a rapidly shifting context.
- Self-directed, assertive and capable of both generating great ideas and following through to implement them.
- Aware of current trends, news coverage and various perspectives related to energy, environment and climate policy across Canada.
- Adept at tailoring tone, visual content and framing of communications materials to remain “on brand” while resonating with a variety of target audiences.
- Flexible, self-aware, highly motivated and open to feedback.
Clean Energy Canada is a climate and clean energy think tank within the Centre for Dialogue at Simon Fraser University. We work to accelerate Canada's transition to clean and renewable energy systems.Leading-edge communication has been a pillar of our success to date, and is one the reasons thought leaders turn to Clean Energy Canada for the policy analysis, data and insight they need to better understand and advance Canada's energy transition.Our team is small but mighty. We strive to be innovative, collaborative, data-driven and responsive to shifts in the political and policy landscape. We work in a fast-paced environment where clear and engaging communications matters and where each individual's contribution counts.
The Engagement Manager will be expected to:
- Develop and oversee the execution of Clean Energy Canada's engagement strategy to launch a new approach to building an engaged and vocal base of support for clean energy solutionsManage, mentor and coach the Digital Communications SpecialistDevelop a network of partner organizations and individuals to amplify and promote Clean Energy Canada's publications, thought leadership and events across various channels
- Direct and contribute to the production of targeted and engaging digital content and speaking events designed to build a community of engaged audiences and motivate them to take action in support of clean energy solutions
- Coordinate and manage the technical and logistical elements of hosting our Clean Energy Live webinars and public speaking events
- Contribute to the creation of digital communications content, including: graphics, GIFs, video, blogs, etc.
- Manage Clean Energy Canada's website (using Wordpress) and social channels (Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn), in collaboration with other members of the communications team
- Evaluate analytics, track monthly social media metrics and contribute to quarterly and annual internal communications reporting and analysis
- Write, edit and/or proofread communications materials as needed
- Manage the use of the organization’s CRM system (Batchbook) for engagement and community-building
- An undergraduate degree and at least five years of professional experience in online or offline political organizing or community building, communications, content development and marketing, or related fields
- Demonstrated experience developing, executing and evaluating social media campaigns
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign), Microsoft Office suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel) and audio/video editing software
- Experience developing website content using Wordpress (front-end only) and overseeing contractors for technical support
- Experience using MailChimp (or a similar service) for direct email marketing
- Working experience with CRM database management, using Batchbook or a similar system (e.g. Maximizer, Salesforce, Constant Contact)
- Demonstrated expertise in managing creative and/or communications projects
- Proven time management skills and experience juggling competing deadlines and priorities
- Impeccable English spelling and grammar, adhering to Canadian Press style conventions
Clean Energy Canada offers a competitive non-profit salary, vacation and health benefits package. This position is a one-year contract with the possibility of extension.
you think this position sounds like a great fit for you, please submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), resume and a sample of your
work demonstrating your digital/creative content production skills and
experience running digital campaigns to email@example.com, following these instructions:
resume and cover letter must be submitted as one PDF file and named in
this format: LastName_FirstInitial_CEC_Engagement_2017.pdf
letters should be no more than two pages,
enclosed with your resume (not simply pasted into an email) and addressed to Merran
Smith, Executive Director.
samples can be submitted digitally or in PDF format. Please include any links to digital content on a separate page in your
application, not in the body of your application email.
NOTE: Applications that do
not adhere to these format and naming conventions will not be considered.
Energy Canada is an equal-opportunity employer. While we appreciate all
expressions of interest, only those applicants selected for an interview will
Applications will be considered
as soon as they are received
and the competition will remain open until the position is filled. The ideal start date for this role is January
2, 2018 or earlier.
Clean Energy Canada
Web address: http://cleanenergycanada.org/job-posting-engagement-manager/