|Manager, Federal Government Affairs
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: November 12, 2017
Deadline: November 25, 2017
Reporting to the Director, Government and Indigenous Affairs, the Manager, Federal Government Affairs provides leadership, strategic and technical direction on the development and implementation of corporate government affairs’ programs and policies for effective government relations to support Teck’s short and long term corporate goals and reputational interests. The position also leads the implementation of those programs and policies in designated jurisdictions. While the focus of the role and primary responsibility is for the Canadian federal jurisdiction – this position also supports our government affairs activities in other jurisdictions where the company is active, such as the United States and Chile.
This position provides consultative, advisory and implementation capacity to Business Units, Operations and Projects with respect to the development and implementation of government affairs policies, plans and procedures. The Manager, Federal Government Affairs also provides support and strategic direction to the Teck senior management team on government-related developments and external communications.
The Manager, Federal Government Affairs builds and maintains relationships with key political leaders, government officials and third parties, with a focus on the federal government in Canada, and has lead responsibilities in this regard. The incumbent acts as spokesperson and lead representative at various high profile government and political events and senior government meetings, contributing to meeting corporate and business sector objectives and enhancement of the company’s reputation with its core stakeholders.
The Manager, Federal Government Affairs will have advanced skills in the principles and practices of government affairs and communications including in the areas of policy/legislative/regulatory activities, strategy development, campaigns, stakeholder and media relations, and issues management.
This position is based in Vancouver with frequent travel to government meetings and events, primarily in Ottawa but also elsewhere as required.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Directs and develops Teck’s government affairs and issues management strategies for federal government relations in Canada.
- Provides guidance to Business Units, operations and projects across the company and works with colleagues to identify and address government affairs needs.
- Directs the monitoring and analysis of emerging and current socio-political issues, risks, impacts, and policies that may impact the firm and its reputation in North America, and elsewhere as required.
- In collaboration with the Director, Government Affairs develops processes, procedures and policies to guide Teck’s government affairs practices.
- Develops written materials to support internal and external communications, including materials to support the senior management team.
- Directs and supervises the implementation of Teck or industry hosted events with government.
- Develops and maintains proactive relationships with local, provincial/state and federal government agencies at political and bureaucratic levels.
- Represents the company in presentations to, and meetings with, senior level government officials in multiple jurisdictions, with a particular focus on Canada and the United States federal governments.
- Represents the company in senior-level meetings with public policy and other thought leadership organizations, with a particular focus on key national (Canada and US) organizations.
- Represents Teck at public external events (e.g. public policy panels).
- Directs and supervises relevant consultants engaged to assist in fulfilling the company’s government affairs objectives.
- Directs and supervises the Leader, Government Affairs position.
- Represents the company’s position in various member associations’ committees, task forces and working groups including the Mining Association of Canada, Mining Association of BC and the Business Council of British Columbia. This includes but is not limited to acting as Teck’s designate- Member on the Board of the Mining Association of Canada, Member of the Towards Sustainable Mining Governance Team and as Chair of the Business Council of British Columbia’s Federal Engagement Task Force.
- Builds partnerships with industry and business associations and other third parties to advance shared priorities.
- Responsible for compliance with all applicable rules and regulations in relation to government affairs activities (e.g. lobbyist registries).
- Supports the Vice President, Community and Government Relations in budget development for the government affairs function.
- Contributes to the Community and Government Relations strategic and business planning processes.
- Leads special projects assigned to role.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in the field of government, government relations or corporate communications.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Business, or Communications. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience leading others.
- Excellent understanding of political, legislative and regulatory processes, in Canada, the United States, and other international jurisdictions.
- Ability to develop, and execute senior level, results-oriented government affairs plans and/or programs.
- Ability to produce and present on government affairs strategies, materials, policies and procedures in a changing, deadline-driven, high-profile environment.
- Superior knowledge of the rules and regulations governing government affairs activities in various jurisdictions, particularly for British Columbia, Alberta, Canada, the United States and Chile.
- Excellent demonstrable project management skills with responsibility for managing a team and an ability to achieve results in specified timeframes. Ability to rapidly review, assess and make recommendations on government-related technical, legal and regulatory information.
- Ability to set and manage multiple priorities based on relative importance and urgency.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and cultivate strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent research, writing and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities and close attention to detail.
- Strong demonstrable computer skills, in particular with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Fluency in Spanish, French and/or Mandarin an asset.
- A team player and leader who brings creativity, enthusiasm and a strategic outlook.
- Ability to handle difficult and challenging assignments.
- Exemplifies the company’s core values of safety, integrity, excellence, discipline, commitment, teamwork, innovation and respect.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.