Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty Association
|Communications Officer (1-yr contract)
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posted: December 4, 2017
Deadline: December 20, 2017
The Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty Association (WLUFA) is a member-driven labour union that represents faculty and professional librarians at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. WLUFA is committed to equity and values diversity. We welcome applications from qualified individuals, including persons of all genders and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons, and persons of a visible minority. WLUFA Staff are represented by CUPE 1281.
Working with the WLUFA leadership and staff, the Communications Officer (CO) will plan, develop and implement communication strategies across a variety of media platforms to communicate WLUFA’s vision, strategic directions, and key initiatives. The successful candidate will assist WLUFA with internal communications, external communications, and Member mobilization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- work with WLUFA leadership to identify communications needs, and plan and implement appropriate strategies which include research, content, monitoring media coverage, and media relations
- plan, research, compose, edit, and assist in the production of communications in all areas of publication, including the WLUFA website
- maintain and enhance an integrated social media presence for WLUFA
- prepare media releases, newspaper articles, op-eds, and community outreach materials
- produce member mobilization materials
- provide communications support for WLUFA activities as needed
- carry out other duties that may be assigned from time to time as the needs and/or circumstances of WLUFA change (such duties shall be discussed prior to assignment to ensure compatibility with workload and expertise)
- report to the Executive Director
Hours of Work
The CO will work 20 hours per week, normally scheduled between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Some flexibility in hours will be required, including evening and/or weekend work, due to occasional membership events requiring WLUFA representation.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience, starting at $32,000/year for a 20-hour work week. The CO will receive full coverage for their choice of either extended health care or dental care with the option of purchasing membership in the other plan.
This is a one-year contract with opportunity for renewal, pending performance and budgetary approval.
- an understanding of and commitment to post-secondary education and trade unionism
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, including proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint, and preparing print and electronic publications
- superior skills in the use of social media platforms (e.g. Twitter) and website management, and ideally experience in running one or more social media platforms for an organization or union
- excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a collaborative environment
- strong organizational, problem-solving, time-management, and prioritizing skills in a multi-task environment
- ideally experience in planning and implementing communication with creativity and imagination
- bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related discipline
- minimum of three years’ full-time work experience (or its equivalent) in communications, media relations, public affairs, and/or journalism
Applicants should submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Job Board), writing sample (press release or newsletter) and résumé. Electronic applications are preferred.
WLU Faculty Association
75 University Avenue West
Web address: http://www.wlufa.ca