Mount Royal University
|Work Experience Coordinator
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posted: December 4, 2017
Salary: $2,455.75 Semi-month
Job Title: Work Experience Coordinator
Requisition #: 997566
Job Type: Permanent
Location: MRU Main Campus - Calgary, AB T3E 6K6 CA
Closing Date: Open Until a Suitable Candidate is Found
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University has built a reputation on a strong, liberal education foundation. Our vision is to provide an exceptional undergraduate educational experience for our students. We are a community of engaged citizens, providing personalized, experiential and outcome-based learning in an environment of inclusion, diversity and respect. Through our focus on teaching and learning informed by scholarship, we are preparing our graduates for success in their careers and lives.Mount Royal University presently offers 12 four-year baccalaureate degrees with 32 majors, with a view to grow this mix to 15 degrees and 60 majors by 2025. Current degree offerings are unique, and include four-year bachelor degrees in interior design, midwifery, child studies and health and physical education, as well as arts, criminal justice, business administration, communication, computer information systems, education, nursing and science. Mount Royal also offers robust continuing education programming as well as an internationally-renowned music conservatory.
More than 13,000 credit students attend Mount Royal University annually, with more than 90,000 Mount Royal alumni contributing to their communities worldwide.
Our faculty provide a teaching and learning environment that welcomes challenging ideas. Our staff are dedicated to supporting our campus so that students are provided with an exceptional educational experience. Our management team provides leadership throughout the University, and inspires others at all levels to be leaders in their own important sectors.
In support of our students, and in response to our broader community, we know that investing in our employees benefits the University as a whole. Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. Our faculty, staff and management are united in creating a thriving learning environment for our students. Mount Royal University is an exceptional community focused on our people.
About Career Services
Providing services that compliment and support students’ academic experience, Career Services enhances student employability through career education, employment and Co-op/work experience programs. Career Services offers a range of services and activities for students, graduates and employers.
About the Role
Reporting to a Career Services Work Experience Supervisor, this position will establish, maintain, and enhance the co-operation necessary among employers, students and faculty to ensure that all partners benefit from participating in the the Bachelor of Communication – Broadcast Media Studies program. The Coordinator has responsibility for developing, implementing, coordinating and promoting Work Experience programs, for facilitating learning and counseling students to bridge their entry in to the workplace, for managing the learning process which occurs during a succession of work terms, and for the general development and administration of their Work Experience programs.
- Research, develop and implement a strategic local, regional, and provincial marketing plan in order to contact and engage targeted employers to hire work term students for quality work term settings/opportunities;
- Source, develop, and foster employer-client relationships to ensure participation in the work experience component of the degree;
- Work with student groups to assist in their success in securing work term opportunities by meeting with students 1:1 and in group settings;
- Create and deliver an in-class professional development course (one full semester) that prepares students to respond to the labour market and guide them in self-assessment, resume and cover letter preparation, interviews, and networking, and self-marketing tools; and
- Liaise with faculty to collaborate on program progress and student development practices that support outcomes-focused learning.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Broadcasting, Communications, or Adult Education preferred in combination with 3 – 5 years of relevant marketing experience ideally coupled with applicable work experience in marketing, human resources, and/or career development;
- Career development experience/certification an asset;
- Industry experience with familiarity with a variety of broadcast-related industry sectors, organizations, and opportunities;
- Ability to work effectively with multiple program stakeholders;
- Proven ability to work independently and within self-managed teams;
- High aptitude for problem-solving and attention to detail in conjunction with excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully manage multiple competing priorities;
- Excellent communication, presentation and classroom facilitation skills with a track record for professionalism and diplomacy;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite software and Google Apps; Contact Management Software experience would be an asset; and
- Must have access to a vehicle and valid driver’s license; limited local travel is required.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to (or apply through this link):
Mount Royal University
4825 Mount Royal Gate SW