|Staff Writer, Advisor's Edge
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: January 12, 2018
Reports to: Managing Editor, Advisor’s Edge
Direct reports: none
Come join a team of passionate, award-winning financial journalists who come to work every day excited to inform and investigate. Our established, industry-leading brand is well-loved by readers. Through our print and online properties, we reach tens of thousands of financial advisors across Canada and beyond.
We are seeking a staff writer to report on the financial services industry for Advisor’s Edge. The incumbent will produce compelling daily articles while also working on longer-term features and projects. There may also be opportunities to pitch and write for sister publications.
The ideal candidate has a passion for financial reporting and is keen to deepen his or her knowledge of investment, economics and regulation as they relate to Canadian financial advisors.
- Pitch, research, report and post stories for all platforms. Story types include news articles, features, listicles, infographics and other items.
- Write multiple daily web articles at least twice per week.
- Fact check and occasionally copy edit articles created by other team members and external contributors.
- Attend and report on industry conferences, and develop relationships with industry experts and sources.
- Populate and target e-newsletters sent to a loyal and growing audience.
- Work with editorial teams to come up with traffic-driving initiatives and assist in reaching traffic and engagement goals.
- Provide administrative support for special projects and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A self-starter with a demonstrated ability to write and edit news and analysis pieces from disparate sources with speed and clarity.
- Experience developing financial and/or business story ideas for all platforms, ideally for a sophisticated audience.
- An eagerness to learn about and be immersed in the worlds of finance, investment, tax, insurance and regulation.
- An ability to make mainstream news stories relevant for a niche audience.
- Superior research and communication skills.
- An ability to meet tight timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in digital journalism, including blogging, social media, and online content management. Knowledge of data journalism, video and audio editing are assets.
- Minimum two years of related experience, ideally with a focus on the financial services industry.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in business, journalism or related field.
- Comfortable in both Windows- and Mac-based environments.
Please submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), resume, and three writing samples with your application to:
Amy Geer, Senior Human Resources Consultant
Web address: http://tctranscontinental.com/careers