VICE Media Canada
|Motherboard Senior Editor (maternity leave)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: April 10, 2018
VICE is the world’s preeminent youth media company and content creation studio. Launched in 1994, VICE now operates in over 30 countries and distributes its programming to hundreds of millions of viewers each month across digital, linear, mobile, film and socials. VICE includes an international network of digital channels; a television and feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; an in-house creative services agency; a book-publishing division; and an international TV network, VICELAND.
VICE's award-winning programming has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabody Awards, Sundance Film Festival, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Frontline Club, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, and Webby Awards, among others.
JOB TITLE: Motherboard Senior Editor (Canada) - 12-18 month contract
REPORTS TO: Motherboard Editor-in Chief (NYC), Deputy Editor (Canada)
OVERVIEW: Motherboard is an online magazine and video channel dedicated to the intersection of technology, science, and humans. Motherboard is looking for an experienced journalist with a deep awareness of the new technologies, cultures, and discoveries are constantly reshaping this planet to join the editorial team at our Canadian HQ in Toronto.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all of the Canadian-generated content on Motherboard.
- Writing, editing, and maintaining relationships with editorial freelancers.
- Providing editorial direction to staff writer(s) and intern(s).
- Monitoring the editorial budget and ensuring the site is hitting content quotas.
- Able to brainstorm concepts for documentaries and video segments.
- Comfortable being on camera.
- Coordinating with the US team regarding daily/ongoing strategies for Motherboard.
- Managing greater integration with the US team, and oversight of stories commissioned for Motherboard from around the world.
- Coordinate with Special Projects Editors / Director of News and Digital / Marketing / Comms on publishing and rollout of projects, including creation of visual assets, etc.
- 3-5 years of journalistic experience.
- Deep cultural awareness of Canadian tech, science, news, culture.
- Experience with managing a team of journalists is an asset.
- Video production experience is an asset.
- Expert in all forms of social media with a key understanding of their role in the news media.
Please apply via https://boards.greenhouse.io/vicecanada/jobs/1105579#.Ws0DctPwat8
Web address: http://https://boards.greenhouse.io/vicecanada/jobs/1105579#.Ws0DctPwat8