Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posted: April 12, 2018
Deadline: May 10, 2018
Do you have experience with the publishing process and the behind the scenes work required to make sure the many parts of a magazine are pulled together, sent off to the printer and then into the hands of readers? Do you delight in the details of project management and the wins that can be found by improving processes?
The publications department of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum based in Montreal is looking for someone like you to become our Managing Editor. You will help plan and execute the editorial processes for CIM Magazine – a hybrid print and online publication that includes both English and French content – as well as other publishing projects at the institute. This spans from calendar development to production, and working with the editorial staff and other institute personnel, as well as outside service providers (e.g. layout, printing, ad sales) to connect our award-winning work – and the advertisers who support it – with the largest possible audience.
CIM is a not-for--profit organization that, through a combination of publishing, events and professional development, has served the interests of professionals working in geology, metallurgy, mining and many other disciplines that combine to make up the industry for the last 120 years. It may have a long history, but those of us working here are more focused on the future and how to provide its members with the tools they need for their careers. The publications department is an energetic and ambitious team who produce quality content that we take a lot of pride in. We post and promote articles on our new and growing CIM Magazine website, print CIM Magazine eight times per year and the peer-reviewed CIM Journal quarterly and play a role in the creation of publications and the marketing activity of the institute.
What you will do:
- Publication scheduling and planning
- Manage editorial workflow, including translations
- Edit copy
- Create and maintain distribution agreements
- Track circulation
- Coordinate advertising placement in print and online
- Lead annual media kit production
- Contribute to subscription and editorial marketing campaigns
- 5 years’ experience in journalism/publishing
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, critical for liaising with editorial staff, internal and external stakeholders and suppliers
- Experience with MailChimp, social media and social media management platforms
- Excellent English language skills, both oral and written, with proficiency in French a definite asset
- Very strong organizational skills; ability to work under pressure, establishing priorities to meet tight deadlines, and multi-task, keeping both long-term and short-term goals in mind
- Stays calm under pressure and has an effective approach to crisis management;
- Excellent eye for detail; critical-thinking skills
- Familiarity with desktop publishing e.g. InDesign, Quark, as well as Photoshop is an asset
- Knowledge of the resource sector is certainly helpful, but not essential
Please send your resume and cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) via email by May 10, with your name and the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Web address: http://www.magazine.cim.org