Postmedia Network Inc.
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta
Posted: May 11, 2018
Deadline: May 25, 2018
The Fort McMurray Today, a division of Postmedia Network Inc., is seeking a multimedia reporter who will help drive coverage of issues and events in a strong, trusted community newspaper setting. Specific coverages include health, education, arts and crime/courts.
Excellent reporting and writing skills are required, as well as the ability to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced multimedia news environment. The successful candidate must be community-minded, with a focus on producing local news, compelling feature stories and eye-catching photography. The successful applicant will be a self-starter who can work as part of a team in a very busy newsroom.
Candidates must be familiar with emerging digital trends and opportunities, be able to shoot still photos and video with a mobile device, and know how to leverage social media and digital platforms to break news and reach audiences. He or she must be comfortable with filing stories for multiple platforms on tight deadlines, and be keen to learn and experiment to find new ways to tell stories and engage readers.
Role and responsibilities
- Reporting, writing and editing stories for print, web and mobile audiences – as well as tailoring content to meet the varying needs of those platforms.
- Initiating and developing ideas for enterprise stories and investigative projects.
- Cultivating sources and establishing expertise in order to break stories and set the news agenda.
- Engage energetic use of Social Media platforms.
- Produce strong and creative photographs to accompany stories.
- Write columns for the paper’s opinion section.
- Support to other area newspapers required
- Travel will be required at times
The Fort McMurray Today is a proud member of the Fort McMurray community, deeply rooted in the local history and a current news leader.
- Experience at a daily news organization in a deadline-oriented reporting/writing role.
- Fluency in digital platforms, multimedia journalism and social media.
- Ability to work quickly and independently, meet multiple deadlines, and make efficient decisions.
- Familiarity with data journalism and investigative reporting.
- Ability to work constructively as part of a newsroom team.
- A degree in journalism or communications
- Experience with Adobe programs such as InDesign and PhotoShop is considered an asset.
- Must own and be well-versed in using DSLR camera.
- Candidate must hold a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
Should you be interested in this opportunity please forward a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) and resume to::
Application Deadline: May 25th, 2018
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.