St. Albert Gazette
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Posted: May 15, 2018
Deadline: June 1, 2018
The St. Albert Gazette is hiring for the position of editor.
The editor of the Gazette is a person who is not only a proficient journalist, but a person who is a strategic thinker, capable of extended planning of complex, ongoing news stories and features. The successful candidate will be an exceptional mentor for our newsroom of 12, making every effort to ensure the content reaches the highest journalistic standards while meeting the expectations of our valued readers. The editor also understands the nuances of community journalism, and the need for the newspaper to reflect the community and be involved in it. The ideal candidate will also have an appreciation for the paper’s core belief that sales follow readership – without rock-solid, award-winning content, the business cannot thrive. This requires the editor to have a basic understanding of the business side of the St. Albert Gazette.
The St. Albert Gazette promotes a collaborative environment where ideas are exchanged, debated and welcomed. The Gazette is a perennial winner of the Best All Round Newspaper in its circulation category. The paper’s standards are high, with a premium placed on its newsroom-generated content. The editor is expected to live in St. Albert and participate in some of the city’s larger events and meetings, some of which are outside of regular office hours.
The St. Albert Gazette is a twice-weekly publication with large page counts, which means management of copy flow and tight deadlines is a must.
The editor is a key leader in our organization who will liaise with our advertising departments and our senior management team on a regular basis. The necessary tools:
- Maximizing the talents of our reporters, making sure their work is delivered on deadline with optimum quality
- Writing thought-provoking editorials that are poignant, researched and well rounded
- Capable of delegating as required
- Utilizing social media strategies and our digital platform to strengthen the Gazette both online and in print
- Coaching reporters on writing, story ideas/angles and depth of their content
- Attention to detail
- Have a keen interest in politics and current events
- Strategic thinking – seeking continuous improvement of the newspaper’s content. Charting a course of direction for the paper’s coverage, and executing that outlook through a developed plan.
- Ability to work well with others
Interested candidates should send resume, clippings and a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
St. Albert Gazette
340 Carleton Drive
Tel: (780) 460-5535
Fax: (780) 460-8220
Web address: http://www.stalbertgazette.com