Town of Aurora
|Communications and Community Engagement Specialist
Location: Aurora, Ontario
Posted: May 16, 2018
Deadline: May 29, 2018
Salary: $61,532 to $75,517
Summary of Responsibilities
Are you an enthusiastic, innovative and highly-motivated Communications professional? If so, the Town of Aurora’s Communications Department is looking for a Communications and Community Engagement Specialist.
As the Town’s ambassador, you will cultivate meaningful conversation between internal and external stakeholders online and in-person. This role requires an exceptional communicator who is willing to step out from behind the desk to support organizational engagement and public participation efforts. You are the kind of person who comes to work every day with energy, creativity and a passion for being a trailblazer in municipal communications and community engagement. You will display a high level of commitment to relationship building and community engagement, through the delivery of industry-leading marketing and communications programs.
Responsible for managing the Town’s social media channels, website, Intranet site, newsletters, online community engagement platform, and in-person engagement opportunities, the Communications and Community Engagement Specialist will have clear understanding of the outreach needs facing municipal government and can deliver strategies to increase awareness and participation in local government.
- To be considered for this opportunity you will have a university degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Corporate Communications, Marketing or a similar degree with 3+ years of experience in communications, marketing and/or community engagement, preferably in a municipal or government environment.
- You will have a solid understanding of community engagement best practices with an ability to think outside of the box.
Previous experience managing websites and social media platforms is necessary.
- You will possess exceptional communication, interpersonal, facilitation and conflict-resolution skills and have excellent project coordination, planning, data management, time management and organizational skills.
- Your outstanding writing and editing skills, with the ability to write in Canadian Press Style, is key, as is your proficiency with computers, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Content Management Systems, Intranet and internet technologies.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is considered an asset.
- You have a passion for the community of Aurora and the role of local government.
- You must be willing to work outside regular business hours, including evening and weekend events, about 20% of the time and must hold a valid Class “G” driver’s license in good standing and have access to a reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
Police Criminal Record Check
Successful applicants to this position will be required to provide a Police Criminal Record Check that is satisfactory to the Town prior to their start date.
The Town of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to recognizing and celebrating the diversity of opinion, talent and expertise that make each person unique. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants requiring accommodation are asked to contact Human Resources. Applicant information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used to determine qualifications for employment with the Town of Aurora. Questions about this collection of personal information should be directed to the Manager of Human Resources at 905-727-3123.
If you are interested in joining our dedicated team of municipal professionals, please forward your resume by May 29, along with a cover letter quoting reference number 18-36 and stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board to:
Town of Aurora
100 John West Way, Box 1000
Tel: (905) 727-3123
Fax: (905) 726-4733
Web address: http://www.aurora.ca