The Brandon Sun
Location: Brandon, Manitoba
Posted: May 16, 2018
The Brandon Sun daily newspaper is accepting resumés for a full-time night editor to fill a vacancy in our newsroom.
The night editor will assist the managing editor in directing story and photography coverage for the paper, and be the point person for The Brandon Sun website within the newsroom. Training will be provided for the successful candidate, as necessary.
- Duties will include:
- Copy editing stories for the daily newspaper, the website, and special sections.
- Running the daily story schedule from the start of shift. This responsibility includes assigning stories and photo assignments, and determining the overall layout of the front page.
- Writing breaking news briefs for the website, and delegating web duties to reporters as necessary.
- Using online tools (such as Buffer for Tweetdeck, Facebook and Instagram) to schedule content for social media.
- Planning, editing and layout of a weekly section called Westman This Week.
- Occasional editorial writing and photography duties will be required
- In the absence of the managing editor, the night editor is in charge of the newsroom.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Brandon Sun also offers a comprehensive and generous suite of benefits. The job of night editor is a junior management position, falling outside the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The Sun boasts an award-winning staff and is one of Canada’s leading community dailies. As a member of FP Newspapers, The Brandon Sun is a sister paper to the Winnipeg Free Press.
- Exceptional writing and copy editing skills
- Strong news judgement, demonstrated camera skills, and proven leadership capabilities
- A degree or diploma in journalism or related experience
- Willingness to adapt to new trends in online reporting
- Candidates with skills in desktop layout programs such as Quark XPress and Adobe InDesign preferred.
- Qualified candidates should also be active on social media, and generally be comfortable with the mechanics of working in a multimedia newsroom.
Please deliver your resumé, cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), clippings, portfolio, etc. to:
Matt Goerzen — Managing editor
The Brandon Sun
501 Rosser Avenue