IT World Canada (ITWC)
|Junior Staff Writer
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Posted: May 17, 2018
Deadline: June 22, 2018
IT World Canada (ITWC) is looking for a junior writer to enhance its award-winning editorial team covering the Canadian technology industry. To be considered for this position; you must be an excellent writer that can work to deadline; genuinely interested in the technology industry; and committed to amplifying your work across multiple platforms. This is a full-time entry level position with growth potential.
ITWC offers a competitive salary with benefits.
ITWC is a privately-owned digital media and content marketing services company. Building on over three decades of solid relationships with Canada's technology decision-makers through award-winning excellence in journalism, we deliver incisive, relevant information to executive and managerial audiences. It also provides leading, integrated marketing content strategies to clients, including over 200 global Fortune 1000 companies. Our online publications include www.itworldcanada.com, www.itbusiness.ca, and www.computerdealernews.com. You'll be joining the editorial team dedicated to producing objective journalism for our audience of IT leaders, business executives, and channel partners.
What you'll do:
- Write multiple daily briefs about IT industry news
- Write original stories based on your own research and interviews
- Attend industry events and product launches in the GTA and file same-day reports
- Support our brands with your social media presence and regular activity
- Cover the occasional event that happens on evenings or weekend, or be prepared to travel to the U.S. for multi-day conferences
- Shoot your own photos for stories or otherwise source images for our sites
This is a full-time position that requires you come to work in our Scarborough-based office every weekday, from 9-5, unless you're on assignment covering an event elsewhere. We're located near the Scarborough Town Centre, just off the RT transit line. Our journalists cover stories of national - and often international interest - within the scope of the IT field and we're always looking to expand our coverage into new areas. Our editorial team often travels to conferences in the U.S. for coverage.
- Salary negotiable based on experience 10 vacation days per year (after probation period
- Benefits for health and dental Enjoy several extra summer days off work and a couple around Christmas too.
- Computer and smartphone with service plan are provided.
You'fre a writer that's comfortable working in the online medium. You care about the quality of your stories, but can work to publish quickly when required. Youfre flexible enough to work evenings or weekends if thatfs what the story requires. Youfre eager to collaborate with your editors and fellow writers and are eager to explore podcasts and video as storytelling options.
You have experience with the following:
- Writing news stories for a widely-read publication
- Interviewing CEOs, analysts, and other high profile sources
- Publishing on deadline
- Writing for a niche audience with specific interests
- Using WordPress
- Using social media from a professional perspective
- Video journalism experience is an asset
- French language would be a bonus
- A post-secondary diploma or degree in a related field
Please review our websites and be prepared to discuss your impressions of them during the interview.
Interested candidates should send resume, clippings and a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
IT World Canada (ITWC)