Calgary Chamber of Commerce
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posted: June 22, 2018
Deadline: July 22, 2018
About The Calgary Chamber
For more than 127 years, the Calgary Chamber has been the city’s main connector of people, ideas and stories. We’ve facilitated meetings, debates and gatherings with some of the brightest minds in Calgary to solve business problems, and advance the needs of business in a way that makes our city a better place to be successful.
Throughout these efforts the Calgary Chamber has emerged as one of the most progressive and influential organizations in the country. And yet our goal has always remained the same – create connections that help solve business challenges and inspire businesses to do more here in Calgary.
The Director of Communications is essential for advancing and achieving the Calgary Chamber’s goals in terms of inspiring members and businesses within our community. This internal and external communications role reports to the President and CEO and is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to drive communications for the organization’s future and to be at the forefront of demonstrating how an effective communications strategy can catalyse inspiration. In addition to developing and implementing strategic communication strategies across all platforms, this position will work alongside all departments consistently communicating the value and purpose of the Chamber internally and externally.
In addition, this individual will oversee the development and implementation of strategies designed to attract ever-growing numbers of members, advocates, and interested others to push and support policies that will bring opportunities to our city.
- Collaborate with the Chamber team on the creation of a comprehensive internal and external communications plan that will enable the Chamber to maximize our impact through thought-leadership and key initiatives
- Be a communications "visionary," consistently bringing an understanding of communications trends, best practices and technologies to bear on Chamber work and how these might be best utilized given our organizational goals and resources
- An internal champion of the brand, consistently promoting messaging and ideas internally as well as externally
- Communicate complex and powerful ideas to a diversity of audiences, engaging internal and external stakeholders in ways that foster a sense of community
- Act as a strategic communications counsel, partnering the team to build internal and external content, such as fact sheets, position papers, marketing materials, press releases, and digital resources for dissemination across various Chamber communications platforms, with a keen eye for specific Chamber audiencesOversee the development of consistent messaging across the organization to promote the Chamber mission, vision, and values
- Enhance communications standards and systems including branding and style guides, social media content policies, and inter-departmental workflows
- Train cross-functional teams around communications best practices and systems
Strategic and Business Planning and Budgeting
- Participate in strategic planning, business planning and performance assessment activities of the Calgary Chamber
- Develop, recommend, and manage the department’s annual budget, ensuring results, accountability and value for dollars spent
- Complete annual departmental plan (aligned with the organizational business plan and departmental strategies) that outline department objectives, activities and measurable outcomes
- Identify, evaluate, recommend and execute alternatives to fund the Chamber’s communication program
Leadership Team Involvement
- Building and maintain strong relationships with all members of the Calgary Chamber team
- Work collaboratively as a member of the organization and act as a mentor and role model for all members of the organization
- Participate in activities associated with the Board of Directors including preparation of board reports, and communications to support their oversight of the organization.
- Ensure that the policy and research work of the Calgary Chamber achieves results and achieves the metrics associated with this aspect of the value proposition
- Reports to: President & CEO
- Works closely with:
- Events team
- Policy team
- Programming team
- Member Services team
- Sponsorship team
- Marketing & Communications team
10+ years' experience in external affairs, communications, and/or marketing with progressive leadership responsibility and a track record of creating innovative communications plans and strategies that employ measurable tools and tactics; experience working with national progressive policy/advocacy organizations is especially valued.
A background in PR and community relations is required
An innate ability to translate key messages to varying audiences
A passion for government with a non-partisan government lens
Excellent project and team management skills
Excellent analytical, written, and verbal communication and presentation skills, with proven success tailoring messages to a variety of audiences, particularly in translating complex policy and advocacy work to a diverse range of stakeholders
Keen understanding of promoting thought-leadership to strengthen an organization's brand and support differentiation in a competitive market
Ability to develop and enhance strong communications standards, workflows, and branding guidelines while disseminating content across multiple mediums, including social media, newsletters, and more
An innovative and opportunistic approach to identifying new opportunities to advance the mission of an organization through strategies that position it to be a thought leader, develop new partnerships, and elevate organizational visibility
Independent thinking with openness and excitement for new ideas; passion for collegial team environment and working with multiple colleagues on different projects at the same time.
Intellectual curiosity coupled with a sense of humor
An entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a changing, fast-paced, high-performing world-class organization
Some national travel in support of collaborative work efforts
Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree, or similar advanced degree preferred
Please send resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to: