Metroland Media Toronto/Toronto.com
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: July 3, 2018
Deadline: July 13, 2018
Metroland Media Toronto is seeking an energetic and experienced reporter to join its fast-paced Multimedia Newsroom in Toronto, which publishes six community newspapers and Toronto.com.
The successful candidate will live and breathe news with a particular interest in local people and issues, and be both knowledgeable and passionate about upholding the principles of ethical journalism in the information age.
- Generate fresh and interesting story ideas with a digital first perspective
- Write tight news stories and community features to be showcased in print and on multimedia platforms
- Maintain a strong social media presence to build personal brand, and mine for unique story leads overlooked by the
- Familiarity/experience with diverse range of content from hard news to food and events reporting
- Employ data journalism as a means of telling stories in an impactful way
- Ability to create and distribute content on diverse multi-media platforms including Instagram
- Explore alternate story forms, online and in print, for maximized reader engagement
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information outside of structured work hours including
- Consistently produce new, in-depth, and compelling content on deadline.
- Degree or diploma in journalism
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative and energetic journalist with the ability to write clean copy, take
- photos and shoot video
- Experience with SEO headline writing and the ability to write an engaging social media post
- Previous experience with content management systems
- Digital and print content editing skills an asset
- Have strong interview and communication skills, with an ability to establish strong community relationships
- Must be comfortable to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
Metroland is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, Metroland will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview.
Interested candidates should send application, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, online here