Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: July 14, 2018
Deadline: August 14, 2018
Kidscreen produces market-leading publications and events that serve the business needs and interests of kids entertainment executives globally. Click here to see the brand’s range of products.
Role: Working with an experienced editorial team, the editor is responsible for developing, managing and executing magazine and newsletter content for Kidscreen in alignment with its brand strategy. The goal is to enrich each publication with the most current, relevant and comprehensive content available, presented in a fun and conversational tone that is accessible for global readers. Reporting to Kidscreen’s VP & publisher, the editor is also charged with ensuring that the brand maintains and builds upon its status as a thought leader and go-to source for information in the industry.
- Developing and implementing an editorial plan that aligns with the strategic objectives of the brand
- Motivating, developing and managing a staff of writers, junior editors and freelancers/contributors
- Planning/assigning/writing copy, editing the magazine (seven issues a year), and overseeing/evolving online content and user experience
- Effectively collaborating with creative and digital service departments to ensure the highest-quality work is done on all Kidscreen content and platforms
- Developing and maintaining high-level industry contacts/relationships to ensure Kidscreen’s content direction remains ahead of the curve
- University degree in Journalism or Communications
- Five-plus years in senior editorial roles, with experience managing multiple, overlapping projects and deadlines
- Experience managing in-house and freelance editorial resources effectively
- Outstanding editorial standards and judgment
- A keen eye for detail and a borderline obsession for copy consistency and excellence
- A fun and conversational writing style, especially as applied to denser, complicated subject matter
- Strong aptitude for display writing and art direction
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency with PC platforms, Microsoft Office, WordPress, InCopy, Photoshop
- Experience developing content for live events would be an asset
- Inside knowledge of the international film and television industry would be an asset
- your resumé and cover letter, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board;
- three professional writing samples with your byline;
- three feature story ideas that would be relevant for Kidscreen readers; and
- your salary expectations.
Thank you for your interest. We will contact those candidates who meet the qualifications, have supplied all of the application criteria, and seem like they might be a good fit for our brand.