|Newsroom Director, Newsletters
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: July 23, 2018
Deadline: August 23, 2018
Salary: not stated
In this newly created role, you will be the driver of newsletters: champion, influencer, innovator, interpreter, consultant, relationship builder, change maker. You will be the newsletter advocate in the newsroom and will represent the editorial viewpoint on newsletters to Marketing. You know newsrooms well enough to understand the demands and values of journalism while helping journalists find new ways to attract and build relationships with customers. This includes different ways of framing content or finding new content that fits both customer appetites and Torstar’s mission. You are continuously weighing editorial content, customer analytics, industry innovations and corporate goals.
Work in the newsroom, you will work with executives, other managers and journalists (reporters, photographers and editors) at the Star, StarMetro, other Torstar daily community brands in an ongoing conversation about and execution of newsletter strategies. Within Torstar you work with Marketing, data analysts and IT. Via Torstar you work with outside providers of reliable, authoritative content to link readers with the best information on key topics while retaining their loyalty to Torstar. You are the champion for customers and for journalism.
You work collaboratively: You pair your expertise in digital processes, journalism and newsletters with others' expertise to produce the best outcomes; you understand and work with sometimes competing needs; and you are innovative in thinking about how best to use scarce resources.
As A Member Of Our HIGH PERFORMANCE Team You Will:
- Work with newsroom and marketing teams to help us build a successful email newsletter program that engages audiences and converts audiences into customers
- Write, design, and grow newsletters that engage audiences and offer valuable content that customers can’t get anywhere else
- Handle reporting and analysis of newsletter performance.
- Collaborate with teams across Torstar—including Editorial, Marketing, Sales, Product, and Data—to identify and execute on new opportunities of growth.
- Edit contributions to newsletters from Toronto Star journalists and shape original content.
- Work on multiple projects at once.
Why You Will Love Working Here:
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
Why You Will Be Successful:
- You have at least 5 to 10 years of experience working in newsrooms, including experience in digital platforms and behaviours
- Superb news judgment; a strong journalistic foundation as a reporter or editor
- Strong editing and writing skills that lead to a conversational daily product that gives customers the sense of a one-to-one relationship with the Toronto Star
- Previous newsletter experience combined with a demonstrated record of success in growing and engaging audiences
- Experience creating, launching, and testing new products
- Knowledge of audiences and a curiosity to learn more about our target customer segments
- Knowledge of analytics tools like Omniture, Parse.ly, or Chartbeat, and the ability to analyze data from those apps
- You have a proven track record of working collaboratively and innovatively.
- Experience working on customer outreach is an asset
- Passion, Energy and Creativity. Strategic marketer who is inquisitive and pro-active in terms of ideas and innovation. Sees the bigger picture and prioritizes accordingly
- Driven leadership skills that can remove obstacles, make decisions and execute.
- Excellent Communication. Excellent people skills especially working to align functional teams and multiple stakeholders
- Go-Getter. Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly High Standards. Detail-oriented and deadline-driven
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.
Apply online here
, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.