toronto.com/Metroland Media Toronto
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: October 3, 2018
Deadline: October 19, 2018
Metroland Media Toronto is seeking an energetic and experienced reporter to join its fast-paced multimedia newsroom in Toronto, which publishes six community newspapers and toronto.com. The successful candidate will live and breathe news with a particular interest in local people and issues, and be both knowledgeable and passionate about upholding the principles of ethical journalism in the information age.
- Generate fresh and interesting story ideas with a digital-first perspective.
- Write tight news stories and community features to be showcased in print and on multimedia platforms.
- Maintain a strong social media presence to build personal brand, and mine for unique story leads overlooked by the competition.
- Familiarity/experience with diverse range of content from hard news to food and events reporting.
- Employ data journalism as a means of telling stories in an impactful way.
- Ability to create and distribute content on diverse multi-media platforms including Instagram.
- Explore alternate story forms, online and in print, for maximized reader engagement.
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information outside of structured work hours including weekends.
- Consistently produce new, in-depth, and compelling content on deadline.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Degree or diploma in Journalism.
- Must have exceptional writing and reporting skills.
- Previous experience in a newsroom environment an asset.
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative and energetic journalist with the ability to write clean copy, take
- photos and shoot video.
- Experience with SEO headline writing and the ability to write an engaging social media post.
- Previous experience with content management systems.
- Have strong interview and communication skills, with an ability to establish strong community relationships.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
- Application must include cover letter, resume and link to online portfolio
Metroland is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, Metroland will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to: