Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: November 7, 2018
Deadline: November 22, 2018
Carleton University, Canada's Capital University, is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of Media Specialist in the Faculty of Public Affairs.
The Media Specialist is responsible for:
- ongoing maintenance and enhancement of the ODFPA website as well as other specifically identified ODFPA-related sites;
- planning and creation of select new websites including the provision of training to select individuals;
- design and creation of branding images, event materials, as well as Faculty promotional materials, including the creation of original design work as well as photography and videography;
- establishing and maintaining an appropriate social media presence for the Faculty of Public Affairs;
- producing electronic newsletters and other products geared to the entire Faculty of Public Affairs community (faculty, staff, undergraduate students, graduate students and alumni) or portions thereof; and
- additional duties as the Media Specialist’s field of work evolves and as the Faculty evolves.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
- Must have an expert knowledge of web best practices (e.g., User Interface (UI)/User experience (UX) best practices, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices) and a thorough understanding of their back-end coding.
- Must be proficient with cross-browser/cross-platform issues and web standards.
- Must be proficient reviewing and analyzing web analytics using tools such as Google Analytics and Siteimprove.
- Must be proficient using Adobe InDesign and Illustrator.
- Must have experience creating wireframes for page layouts to illustrate proposed content strategies.
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of website architecture, design, and the development lifecycle including testing phases.
- Must have a solid understanding of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) and standards.
- Must have knowledge of Search Engine Marketing (SEM).
Social Media and Cloud Services
- Must be adept in the use of social media tools: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, in particular.
- Must be proficient in reporting on the effectiveness of social media participation.
- Must be familiar with third party cloud services for e-publishing and web registration.
- Some experience using any of Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, iMovie, or After Effects.
- Must be proficient in using RAW files and editing photos preferably using Adobe Photoshop.
Microsoft (MS) Office
- Must be proficient with the Microsoft Office suite including Outlook e-mail templates.
- Must have experience creating fillable forms using MS Word.
Education and Experience:
- Superior planning skills; understands critical path, sets priorities and meets timelines.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong professionalism, tact and diplomacy.
- Strong customer service ethic and high expectation for quality.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Creative thinker.
- Effective working in a team and independently.
- Must have a commitment to innovation and adoption of new technologies and applications that will enhance the online experience, better serve the Faculty of Public Affairs internal clients and align with Carleton’s strategic goals.
- Completion of a university degree. Completion of coursework, certificate or diploma program at the college or university level in a minimum of one of the following: advertising, web design, social media, graphic design, photography and videography.
- A minimum of five years’ of experience which includes:
- Web design and development for content-driven (as opposed to commercial) web sites for an employer or clients (minimum 5 years)
- Experience in graphic design work for an employer or clients (minimum 5 years)
- Experience with social media (minimum 5 years)
- Experience in marketing and branding (minimum 3 years)
- Experience with photography and photo editing (minimum 2 years)
- Experience with videography and video editing (minimum 1 year)
- Experience in a not-for-profit or academic sector is an asset.
Please state in your application that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.