Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posted: March 27, 2019
Deadline: April 18, 2019
Global Calgary’s News Department is currently seeking a full-time News Anchor to join their award-winning 6pm news team. This position will include anchoring and reporting duties for Global Calgary News Hour at 6. The successful candidate may be required to work a variety of shifts including weekends, days, and evenings. This position reports to the News Director/Station Manager.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Co-anchor Global Calgary’s News Hour at 6
- Help guide the editorial direction of the News Hour at 6 including identifying local news stories along with relevant affiliate, national, and international content
- Participate in editorial meetings to identify content opportunities and story direction
- Chase, book, and interview guests for panel discussions
- Write strong scripts including headlines and promo material for television, radio and digital platforms
- Create enterprise digital and social media content
- Work with the co-anchor, supervisors, and news managers on breaking news coverage and execution
- Display creativity in the use of production graphics and newscast treatment to ensure content is compelling
- Anchor other newscasts as required including mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Participate in the research and development of enterprise story ideas
- Report on news stories and feature content in addition to driving breaking news live on location as required
- Help build on the station’s strong community brand as well as your own personal connection to the community
- Participate in Global Calgary community events and support community partners with coverage, interviews, and emceeing
- Participate in Global Calgary promotional campaigns
- Perform other duties as required
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years on-air experience in a major market newsroom environment
- Exceptional on-air presentation skills with an emphasis on live, interview and unscripted material
- Strong editorial knowledge and experience guiding a market-leading newsroom
- Demonstrated ability to engage in multi-functional skills such as producing and editing
- Ability to engage and inform viewers online and using social media
- Positive attitude with proven leadership skills
- A post-secondary diploma, certificate or equivalent, in a broadcasting or related field
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalCalgaryCareers@corusent.com by April 12, 2019. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.