|Freelance Journalists (multiple)
Location: Barrie, Collingwood, Orillia, Ontario
Posted: April 14, 2019
Village Media is a network of local news and information websites that is rapidly expanding across the country. We are currently seeking talented and motivated freelance journalists to write for several of our Ontario news sites.
We are born digital, but at the heart of what we do is community storytelling and we are looking for writers who can help us cover a number of diverse subject areas.
- Village Media journalists:
- Are driven to find the people behind the stories that matter in their communities
- Know how to capture passions, struggles and triumphs and communicate them in a compelling way
- Love digging for a story and explaining the big picture to our readers
- Are committed to fairness, accuracy and journalism ethics
- Have exceptional writing skills
About Village Media:
Village Media is an ever-expanding national network of local news and information websites operating some of the largest online news sites in the communities we serve. The Village Media network spans over 20 markets across the country and includes strategic partnerships with some of Canada’s largest media providers.
We focus on providing local stories written by local journalists. Our hyper-local sites publish the latest local news, current events, obituaries, feature stories and a wide range of community information. We are proud members of the cities in which we operate. We support local events, charitable causes and recognize our neighbours’ achievements. We are more than just news: Village Media is all about community.
You should have:
- A degree or diploma in journalism, or a related field
- Superior language, writing and editing skills
- Strong photography skills
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Applicants should send a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - and resume, along with relevant samples of your work to: