Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: May 28, 2019
Deadline: June 28, 2019
The Logic is hiring a managing editor to help build a newsroom that’s seeking to reshape the Canadian journalism ecosystem.
The Logic is a made-in-Canada digital media publication that unites Canadians who care about our country’s future. Subscription-driven, The Logic combines deep reporting, insightful commentary, smart curation and live events to tackle the critical questions that will shape Canada's economic future.
We launched less than a year ago. Since then, our staff has doubled. We’ve published scores of exclusive stories, won major journalism awards, launched a bureau in Ottawa and shown that in-depth journalism is worth paying for (or rather our wonderful subscribers have).
The successful candidate will be an experienced newsroom leader interested in furthering The Logic’s success by overseeing the production of our agenda-setting investigative journalism. The candidate should also be deeply familiar with The Logic’s history and editorial vision.
If you are not sure whether you are qualified for this position, apply anyway. Age and background should be no barrier—we’re committed to building an inclusive environment.
What you'll do
- Manage current editorial staff and help the Editor-in-Chief recruit and hire new staff
- Oversee the assigning, reporting, fact-checking and copy editing of stories
- Edit the Daily Briefing newsletter and multiple stories per week
- Think strategically about The Logic’s coverage and help guide editorial priorities
- Generate unique story ideas rooted in a strong knowledge of Canada’s innovation economy
- Be a champion for The Logic on panels and among the wider public
- A minimum of five years of management experience in a publishing environment; a background overseeing the publication of in-depth journalism. Newspaper editing and investigative experience is preferred.
- Experience building inclusive teams for a high-growth, fast-paced organization
- Mindset of a team player who doesn’t adhere to strict organizational hierarchy (i.e. mucks in when needed)
- Excellent organizational skills, focus and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Sound judgement and comprehension of the legal and ethical principles comprising the highest standards of journalism.
- Adaptive and entrepreneurial mindset
- Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 28 at 5:00 p.m. ET:
- A one-page cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board
- Your resume
- Five examples of front-page news, investigations or in-depth features you’ve been the most senior editor on, with links
This is a full-time position based in Toronto. Compensation is competitive.
Start date: Summer 2019