Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Posted: June 7, 2019
Castanet News has an immediate opening for a multimedia news reporter on our Kelowna team.
The successful applicant must be able to work independently and as a team under the direction of the News Director. You must understand complex local, regional and provincial issues and be able to relate them in an easy to understand manner. You’ll be part of a team of journalists across the Okanagan at one of Western Canada’s most successful online news outlets.
You will produce written, video and radio stories of the highest quality, and be able to react quickly to changing news demands.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write a minimum of five news stories a day, at least one including video
- Bring your own story ideas to the table as well as work on assigned pieces
- Develop a network of local contacts and sources
- Craft tightly written, informative and entertaining stories with captivating images and headlines
- Condense those stories for broadcast on radio
- Manage Castanet SMS as needed, edit and post local and wire stories to the site
- Journalism degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution or applicable career experience in journalism
- Be able to work in print, radio and video settings, both on camera and editing
- Be computer and social media savvy
- Able to recognize a good story and develop it into compelling content
- Strong knowledge of Canadian Press style
Please send a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board, resume and links to relevant examples of your work to:
455 Lawrence Avenue