Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posted: July 8, 2019
Salary: Based on experience.
We are seeking a digital editor to grow traffic and engage readers. The digital editor will be concerned with the entire content life cycle of NUVOmagazine.com, including analyzing, writing, editing, distributing, and monitoring content: web pages, multimedia, social media conversations, e-newsletters. You will consistently gather and monitor metrics to identify content quality, performance, accessibility compliance, make recommendations, and devise digital content enhancement strategies. You will be a critical member of the editorial team, leading efforts to make sure as many people as possible benefit from NUVO’s content. You will report directly to the editor and be charged with creating and executing strategies to increase traffic and grow our base of loyal fans.
This is a permanent, full-time position based in Vancouver.
- Develop and execute strategy for increasing traffic and engaging readers. Write, assign, and edit a broad range of original content for the website and social media channels
- Source and manage relationships with freelance contributors
- Become familiar with the NUVO archive and work to identify key evergreen stories that continue to be relevant
- Effectively manage and work within budgets
- Work with journalists on best social media practices, including framing pieces for specific audiences to optimize for engagement and brand recognition
- Liaise with internal team to leverage print content for online
- Manage and facilitate online communities daily
- Produce an editorial calendar for the website and social media
- Observe and monitor brand awareness on social platforms
- Analyze statistics and track success through engagement rates, growth statistics, reader responses, and other metrics identifying what works and what needs work
- Oversee efforts in SEO to ensure best practices in content creation in order to reach the largest possible audience
- Develop and refine tools critical to audience engagement (user accounts, newsletter signups, etc.)
- Serve as a brand ambassador when necessary
What to Expect:
Career growth and development within the company with the long-term goal of the digital editor position to span both NUVO magazine along with sibling title MONTECRISTO magazine.
- Previous experience (3+ years) working in an editorial capacity with the responsibility for audience engagement, preferably at a digital publication
- Deep understanding of audience analytics
- Solid editorial judgement and ethics
- Fluent on all social media and digital platforms
- Ability to tell stories in multimedia formats
- A high level of accuracy, organization, and creativity while maintaining attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work with a range of editors, reporters, designers, and photographers within an expanding organization
- Comfortable using standard photo editing tools and software
- Thorough understanding of web research and copyright issues
Who You Are:
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with a meticulous eye for detail and a high sense of urgency
- Self-starter with a bias for action who can make things happen
- A ‘can-do’ attitude, flexibility, creativity, and ‘outside the box’ thinking
- High performance under pressure and a strong sense of accountability and ownership
- Experience of working cross-functionally in a collaborative environment
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job
E-mail your resume, social media channels, and salary expectations
to Iwanttowork@nuvomagazine.com, subject line “Digital Editor," stating in your cover note you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only successful candidates will