Up Here Magazine
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Posted: February 18, 2020
Up Here Publishing is looking for a versatile writer with a strong work ethic to join our award-winning magazine in Yellowknife and help us tell stories about the North’s people, places, history, culture, and current events.
Working with the editors, your role will be to produce several in-depth features and smaller magazine stories for each issue of Up Here and Up Here Business, as well as writing content for our website.
We’re looking for someone with a thorough knowledge of the North — its communities, history, priorities, and challenges. Are you constantly coming up with new story ideas? Are you sensitive to the challenges and opportunities that come with reporting in Indigenous communities? Are you as comfortable writing an in-depth environmental feature as you are composing a thrilling story about survival in the backcountry? We want to hear from you.
Primarily, we want you to write, write, write. The more passionate you are about your work, the more excited we are to work with you.
- A journalism degree or diploma, or related experience
- One-to-five years experience working in print media
- Strong reporting skills with an ability to meet strict deadlines
- Energetic and self-directed
- Strong northern knowledge and contacts
- Excellent research skills
- Adept at writing on multiple topics, from business and arts reporting to science and travel pieces
- Collaborative mindset. Able to work with editorial and production to put together feature packages, find solutions to challenges, and plan for the magazine’s future
- Comfortable with travel to remote communities
- A basic understanding of media law and copyright
- Methodical proofreading abilities
- Able to take a good photo
- Comfortable using social media
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign and Drupal CMS would be an asset.
Please send a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), résumé and three writing samples as soon as possible to:
Up Here Publishing
4510 50th Avenue
Tel: (867) 766-6716
Web address: http://www.uphere.ca