Location: Shilo, Manitoba
Posted: February 18, 2020
Deadline: March 31, 2020
Salary: up to $21.16/hr
Who We Are: The Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services’ (CFMWS) supports the Canadian Armed Forces members and their families wherever they are in the world through the provision of fitness, recreation and leisure activities, family and charitable support, retail as well as personal financial services. We offer our employees the opportunity to work with a purpose every day in an inclusive, healthy, respectful and rewarding work environment. For more information on our organization, please visit www.cfmws.com.
The Role: The Shilo Stag is your CFB Shilo community newspaper and serves CFB Shilo, Sprucewoods, Douglas, Cottonwoods, and Wawanesa. The Stag produces 24 issues annually, every second Thursday and has a circulation of 3000. It also produces many support publications and materials for various units and organizations.
Under the supervision of Jules Xavier the Managing Editor, the Assistant Editor assists in the preparation of stories, advertisements, posters, and other material for publication and proofreads material for the Shilo Stag newspaper. They will also ensure stories and photos meet quality, content and deadline standards, and submit them for final approval.
The Location: The Shilo Stag is located within the CANEX mall. CFB Shilo is home to the First Regiment Royal Canadian Horse Artillery and the Second Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry. With a population of about 1,400 military personnel and their families, the Base is completely autonomous with accommodations for more than 600 families and quarters for close to 400 single personnel.
Benefits Available: CFMWS is committed to the health, safety and well-being of our employees and their families and offers a competitive total rewards package including salary, benefits and a defined benefit pension plan. Some of the benefits we offer includes:
- Health Benefits: drug coverage, travel insurance, dental, vision, life insurance and disability insurance.
- Work Life Balance: a wide range of paid/unpaid leave, including paid vacation, family related leave and personal days.
- Retirement Planning: a Defined Benefit Pension Plan and savings plans (TFSA, RRSPs).
- Training and Learning Opportunities: Tuition Assistance and Advanced Learning Programs, that may provide financial support to pursue post-secondary education, payment of professional association memberships, access to a large range of online learning opportunities and free second language training.
- Perks: as a member of the military community, you have access to discounts provided by other organizations, can collect rewards points at the CANEX stores and have access to no interest payment plans on purchases.
- Employment Equity: CFMWS is strongly committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. As a result, we promote employment equity and encourage you to self-identify if you are a woman, an indigenous person, a person with a disability and/or a member of a visible minority group.
- College diploma or certificate in journalism, communications, or related field AND some years’ experience OR high school and several years’ experience in journalism, communications or related field.
- Experience needed in:
- Collecting information through interviews, investigation, and observation
- Writing feature stories for publication
- Receiving, analyzing, and verifying copy for accuracy
- Operating a digital camera/Photography
- Editing photos
- Client focus, organizational knowledge, communication, innovation, teamwork and leadership (our shared competencies).
- Conditions of Employment: Reliability Status
View the full list of details about the Assistant Editor position on our job poster
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Should you require accommodation during the selection process, please let the HR representative know.
Competition # SHI-20-002, FMWS HR Office
Canadian Forces Welfare and Morale Sevices