Location: Belleville, Ontario
Posted: February 23, 2020
Salary: not stated
Village Media is looking for a full-time Community Editor in the Belleville area to help launch our latest online-only news site.
We’re born digital, and our team of talented journalists has a passion for up-to-the minute news and loves to tell great stories.
Our Community Editors:
- Are driven to find stories that matter to their community and inspire their newsrooms to do the same
- Enjoy un-spinning news releases and writing headlines that get right to the heart of a story
- Are committed to fairness, accuracy and journalism ethics
- Have exceptional writing and editing skills and look to social media as a crucial way of engaging with our audience
About Village Media
Village Media is an ever-expanding network of local news and information websites across Canada. A champion of local news, Village Media operates some of the largest online news sites in the communities they serve, publishing the latest local news, current events, obituaries, feature stories and more, on an innovative and scalable content management system (CMS) developed in-house. Born digital, this leading-edge company is a pioneer in its industry, continuously expanding its reach and changing the landscape of online news.
The Village Media network has grown to include 12 owned and operated sites in Ontario and has strategic partnerships across the country with respected news publishers including Dougall Media, Glacier Media, Great West Digital, Laurentian Media and Rogers Media. The company recently expanded internationally to include partnerships in the United States with McClatchy and the United Kingdom with Archant Media.
- Degree in journalism, broadcasting or related field;
- Extensive experience (3+ years) in a newsroom;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills;
- Strong knowledge of journalism ethics and law;
- Photography and associated editing software experience;
- Able to work a variety of schedules, including evenings, nights and weekends;
- Strong leaderships skills;
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Experience with management of a news team, including freelancers;
- Strong time and people management, and communication skills; and
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and under pressure.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) and resume, along with relevant samples of your work, here: