|Senior News/Copy Editor
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: March 11, 2020
Deadline: April 3, 2020
HuffPost Canada is seeking an experienced editor for a hybrid copy editing and assignment role to buff our stories and support our reporters and editors. You’re innately curious, passionate about journalism and storytelling, and possess top-notch skills in digital publishing, copy editing, and line editing.
You have a love of editing and of working with writers to bring out the best in their copy, including having honest discussions about restructuring or cutting material. You're comfortable editing and assigning everything from breaking news, business, and politics to health, pop culture and trending, and you approach each of those stories with the same skill and respect.
As an organized self-starter, you will be part of a highly collaborative, always evolving newsroom that punches above its weight.
This one-year contract role is based in Toronto, with primary duties of copy editing on three weekdays (approximate shift of 11 a.m.-7 p.m.), and supervising assignment on daytime weekends.
- Execute copy edits and line edits of stories by reporters/editors
- Oversee weekend assignments
- Fact-check copy for accuracy
- Help craft engaging headlines
- Uphold and enforce editorial best practices
- Check, prepare, and optimize posts for mobile users in our CMS
- Mobilize resources and coverage plans during weekend breaking news
- 5+ years experience in the digital-media space, including minimum 3 years of copy-editing experience
- Strong editorial/journalism background
- Excellent copy-editing skills; impeccable CP Style
- Affinity for HuffPost Canada brand and mandate
- Well-developed storytelling skills - ability to shape copy to strengthen a narrative
- Strong editorial sense and knowledge in a variety of categories, including hard news, politics, business, lifestyle, trends
- High degree of emotional intelligence in working closely with writers to provide clear, positive feedback
- Experience working in CMS
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of metrics tracking, social media, video
At HuffPost Canada, we connect Canadians through smart, empowering, inclusive digital content that reflects their realities. We tell highly relevant stories where diverse lived experiences are normalized. We add trustworthy cultural context and propel conversations that amplify the voices of underrepresented Canadians. We are both fun and serious, and we serve our audience where they are, when they need us.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter that demonstrates your writing style, how well you understand the tone and mission of HuffPost Canada, and why you fit this role. Please state you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.