The Brandon Sun
Location: Brandon, Manitoba
Posted: June 9, 2021
Deadline: June 30, 2021
Salary: not stated
The Brandon Sun daily newspaper is accepting resumés for a full-time reporter/photographer in our newsroom. This is a permanent, entry-level position for a qualified candidate.
We are looking for a talented writer and photographer who is able to find and produce compelling stories and features for both our online and print products, someone who is comfortable with writing features and handling breaking news stories. Those with relevant experience or education regarding Indigenous and/or rural community issues preferred. Prior experience at a daily newspaper would be an asset.
The successful candidate will cover stories about both Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities and events in rural western Manitoba. They must be able to work independently outside the newsroom, chasing multiple independent story leads at any given time. We want a journalist who is willing to seek out stories that too often go unreported or under-reported in our region.
This position, which may require some evening and weekend work, falls under the company's Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Brandon Sun also offers a comprehensive and generous suite of benefits.
- Superior writing skills and strong news judgment.
- Advanced photography and photo editing skills with demonstrated ability and creativity
- A formal degree or diploma in journalism or related experience.
- Qualified candidates must be active on social media and be comfortable with multimedia reporting.
- Outstanding research skills, and excellent communication skills.
- A valid driver's licence, access to a reliable vehicle, and possession of a smartphone are essential.
Brandon is a growing, forward-looking Prairie city of 50,000 in southwestern Manitoba, with pleasantly warm summers and exceptional cultural diversity. We have easy highway access to Winnipeg and an air link to Calgary.
The Sun boasts an award-winning staff and is one of Canada’s leading community dailies. As a member of FP Newspapers, the Brandon Sun is a sister paper to the Winnipeg Free Press.
Please sent resumé, cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board), clippings, and portfolios to:
The Brandon Sun
501 Rosser Ave.
Tel: (204) 571-7445