Black Press Media
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Posted: October 30, 2021
Deadline: December 31, 2021
Black Press Media has an opening for a full-time, permanent multimedia journalist in Kelowna.
The successful candidate will be joining the largest multimedia reporting force in British Columbia. Black Press employs 150 journalists in the province, generating news content for highly competitive and expanding digital platforms, and longstanding print products.
The Okanagan regional news team is driven by a digital-first mandate, which maintains a local focus on news, events and issues in the city. This position is based in the Kelowna newsroom with three reporters, an editor and a bureau chief in an editorial hub that involves 14 community-based publications in the Okanagan region.
The successful candidate must be able to multitask and execute in a complex digital and print publishing environment.
Black Press is Canada’s largest private community news media company with extensive digital and newspaper properties throughout B.C., Alberta, the Yukon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii.
The successful candidate will have:
- Outstanding writing skills for print and web.
- Strong video skills both shooting, editing and on camera experience an asset.
- A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment, as well as a full range of familiarity and talent in providing community news and events coverage.
- Excellent skills in driving website trafﬁc and audience engagement through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and UGC strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of photography.
- The ability to adhere to deadlines and take direction while contributing original story ideas.
- Knowledge Canadian Press style.
Applicants must hold formal journalism degrees or diplomas, and broadcast training and experience are distinct assets.
A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and a smartphone are mandatory. Candidates must be Canadian citizens or hold permanent resident status.
We offer competitive salary and benefits packages.
Please forward your cover letter and resume to:
Editorial Director, Black Press Media