|Assistant Professor (Media Production)
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posted: November 11, 2021
Deadline: December 1, 2021
Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications (FFAC)
MacEwan University is where caring faculty help people connect their passions to their future paths. Located in the heart of Edmonton's diverse and dynamic downtown community, and on the traditional lands of Treaty 6 First Nations and homelands of the Métis people, MacEwan is known for exceptional undergraduate learning. With its dedication to teaching excellence, informed by scholarly research, innovation, and creative activity, MacEwan provides an exceptional collaborative and supportive learning environment with a commitment to human rights, environmental sustainability, and opportunities for community engagement. We are committed to creating an equitable, diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community for all peoples, cultures, and identities.
Our comprehensive undergraduate university offers 59 programs to more than 15,000 full- and part-time students in business, communications, community and human services, design, fine and performing arts, health, humanities, natural science, nursing, public safety, and social science. Through a wide array of experiential learning opportunities, and strategic relationships in the community, we partner with others to produce graduates of stature. Along with a robust grounding in their chosen disciplines, MacEwan students are given durable life skills that prepare them to take on the world.
The Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications recently moved to Allard Hall, a world-class, $200-million facility located in downtown Edmonton. The Communications Department also recently opened a state-of-the-art TV production studio designed specifically for the faculty and students in Communications and Journalism.
The Department of Communication in the Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor, commencing July 1, 2022.
We are interested in hiring a colleague with teaching and research interests in digital audio and video (television/film) production and broadcast journalism. Candidates should have knowledge of television studio and control room technology, familiarity with news media production best practices, and a deep understanding of the evolving nature of the media industry.
- Master’s degree in media broadcasting, media production, multimedia journalism, digital film production (or a related field)
- Professional digital media production experience
- Ability to teach using industry-standard audio production equipment and post-production software (e.g., Adobe Audition)
- Ability to teach using industry-standard video production equipment and post-production editing software (e.g., Adobe Premiere Pro)
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues in a collaborative setting
- Professional broadcast journalism experience
- Experience teaching media production in a post-secondary setting
- Experience with professional lighting, sound, and composition (media aesthetics)
- Experience related to documentary, podcast, live stream, animation, VR, motion capture, or other forms of production
- Experience with electronic newsgathering
- Experience with course or curriculum development
- Aside from teaching multiple courses, the successful candidate is also expected to make an ongoing contribution to creative output, including producing their work, and to provide leadership in the development of a future media production major within the Bachelor of Communication Studies (BCS) degree credential.
Applicants must submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) and a curriculum vitae (CV) plus a portfolio showcasing current media production-related work (provide the link in the CV). The submission should also include a list of teaching experience (if applicable) and a statement articulating an agenda for research or creative output. Three letters of reference, quoting the competition number and candidate name, should be sent directly from referees to email@example.com. Questions about this position may be addressed to Dr. Rey Rosales, Department Chair – Communication, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A review of applications will begin January 2022, and continue until a suitable candidate is found.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
MacEwan University is committed to fostering the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion within our community, and we are dedicated to removing barriers that have been historically encountered and are currently experienced by some members of our society. We welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, sexual and gender minorities, and members of all equity-deserving groups. We believe that the diversity of our students, staff, and faculty serve as a strength of our institution and benefit to society. We are committed to ensuring full and inclusive participation for all in our community.
We strive to provide an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. If you require accommodation, we want to ensure you have the support you need to showcase your abilities. Please contact email@example.com and we will support you to the best of our ability.
This position is included under the Faculty Association collective agreement.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Personal Information Collection Notification
Personal information is being collected to determine your qualifications for employment. This information is collected, used and protected under the authority of and in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. It may be provided to non-HR members of a hiring and interview panel if your application advances to that stage of the hiring process. If you have any questions about these arrangements, please contact: Human Resources, University Services Centre, Rm. 10-600, 10700-104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 4S2 or phone (780) 497-5434.