|Northwest Territories Reporter
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Posted: November 21, 2021
Deadline: December 6, 2021
Cabin Radio is hiring a Northwest Territories reporter. Join a trusted, widely read, and innovative multimedia newsroom where your wellbeing and professional development are prioritized.
About Cabin Radio:
Founded in 2017, Cabin Radio is owned and operated by five Yellowknife residents. Our owners and a small staff run our independent internet radio station, online newsroom, and Facebook and Instagram channels designed to keep residents of the Northwest Territories informed and entertained.
Our reporting is trusted, precise, robust, fair, and quick. People head to our website first for breaking news reporting they can rely on. Our reporting receives up to a million views each month and is shortlisted for major awards alongside the likes of the CBC and Globe and Mail.
More importantly, our journalism makes a real difference to people’s lives across the Northwest Territories. This job is for someone who wants their reporting to have lasting impact rather than disappear after a day.
We have no parent company, it’s just us. Our reporters are valued members of a small team, which means your wellbeing and professional development are important. You’re not a name in a system, you’re on first-name terms and in daily contact with everyone who runs the show.
About the job:
If it happens in the Northwest Territories or affects anyone living here, we report on it. That gives you one of the broadest patches in journalism, covering everything from Indigenous governance and environmental protection to the future of mining, northern music, crises in housing and health, and the evolution of education.
You’ll be relied on to arrive daily with new ideas, which won’t be hard in an ever-changing territory.
We expect you to uphold our reputation for comprehensive, accurate, innovative, and compelling journalism. We’ll provide the time, support, and equipment for you to get the job done. You bring the determination, drive, professionalism, and passion.
Residents rely on our written reporting so your writing must be sharp, concise, and engaging. We have our own house style to which you’ll be expected to immediately adapt. The right candidate will also have opportunities to lead their own radio and video reporting and share the hosting of our daily newscasts.
Cabin Radio employee benefits program, 20 days’ paid vacation per year from commencement of employment
Candidates must demonstrate:
Candidates should have some or all of:
- An ability to produce written reporting of an exceptional standard under minimal supervision, proactively identifying relevant news stories to swiftly create thorough and accurate journalism.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to collaborate, put interviewees at ease, explain complex concepts in simple terms, and act as an ambassador of Cabin Radio to our readers, viewers, and listeners at all times.
- Excellent research skills.
- An understanding of media law.
- Experience in written journalism, including the ability to accurately write breaking news stories in minutes.
- Experience in radio, delivering newscasts, broadcasting live, editing audio, producing podcasts, and conducting interviews for broadcast.
- Experience in video, hosting show segments, shooting and editing video, self-shooting with no separate camera operator, and conducting on-camera live interviews.
- Experience converting in-depth journalism into compelling content on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Thorough understanding of the Northwest Territories’ Indigenous communities and the priorities and concerns of northern residents.
- Thorough understanding of the Northwest Territories’ political structures, including consensus government and devolution.
- Skills in photography and/or graphic design.
- An understanding of WordPress.
See Cabin Radio's website for more details about Cabin Radio, the position, and life in Yellowknife.
To apply, send the following by 11 p.m. Mountain time Dec. 10th to:
- Your résumé
- A short cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board & outlining what marks you out as a candidate
- Three work samples (which can involve any platform, e.g. written, audio, video, social, data)
- Three story pitches you’d like to explore related to the Northwest Territories
- An indication of your preferred starting date should your application be successful
PO Box 2545, 5007 50 Avenue
Tel: (867) 688-0105
Web address: http://www.cabinradio.ca