Just for Kids (The Salvation Army)
|Staff Writer and Editor
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: January 7, 2022
Deadline: January 28, 2022
Salary: $48,200 - $60,200
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
Mission Statement The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
Core Values The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
This position provides editorial support by serving as Staff Writer for Salvationist, Faith & Friends, Salvationist.ca and social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube), assisting with the development of news, features and other content on a regular basis to inform, inspire and build community within the wider organization. The editor plans, writes and supervises design of Just for Kids (a publication for children ages 6-12).
Writer for Salvationist, Faith & Friends and Salvationist.ca
- Contributes to editorial content for the printed and online editions of Salvationist
- Writes clear compelling copy on a variety of Salvation Army themes, such as ministry unit profiles, interviews, service articles and church ministry
- Writes “Frontlines” and “People & Places” news departments
- Establishes a consistent style, reading level and point of view
- Uses language appropriate for the intended audience
- Checks statements for accuracy and negotiates copy editing changes effectively with the Assistant Editor-in-Chief/Copy Editor and Managing Editor
- Secures high resolution photos/artwork through contact with Salvation Army personnel and freelance photographers
- Assumes editorial responsibility for major research assignments, event coverage, interviews, special features and planned supplements as assigned
- Liaises with THQ departments, divisional leaders and ministry units regarding editorial content for news and articles as appropriate
- Publishes articles on Salvationist.ca and updates social media in consultation with Managing Editor
- Develops content for digital media in collaboration with Communications staff (e.g., social media posts, video scripts, etc.)
- Works with editor of Faith & Friends to complete regular writing assignments
- Acts as proofreader for publications and website as assigned
- Co-ordinates print and online advertising, including the preparation and processing of invoices through the Finance Department
- Assists with marketing and circulation strategies
- Represents The Salvation Army at public events where required
Editor of Just for Kids
- Co-ordinates the republishing and updating of back issues of Just for Kids, reporting to the Assistant Editor-in-Chief
- Formulates a vision for Just for Kids and the message it communicates to children in the Canada and Bermuda Territory
- Prepares an annual plan, taking into consideration Bible teaching, contests, activities, stories, crafts, Salvation Army news, enrolments, etc.
- Provides leadership in editorial content, including original text and art. Works with the designer regarding suggestions for graphics and layout
- Ensures that all facets of the editorial process adhere to established deadlines
- Manages the day-to-day operations of Just for Kids, including correspondence
- Operates within the approved budget
- Works with the copy editor and proofreaders to ensure publication is factually and grammatically correct
- Collaborates with the Children and Youth Ministries Department to include Just for Kids as part of their Orange/Ready to Explore curriculum
- Is a member of the editorial planning team
- Participates in production meetings and regular staff meetings
- Upon leaving the position, prepares a brief to maintain a continuity of work
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Completion of a college/university degree in English, journalism or communication
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements
- Minimum of three years’ prior experience in the editorial field, including writing and editing
- Dedicated individual of integrity willing to embrace and further the mission of The Salvation Army and abide by the Orders and Regulations for Editorial and Literary Personnel
- Proven ability to write and edit creatively, ethically and efficiently
- Able to handle stress, meet tight deadlines and display good time management
- Team-oriented with strong interpersonal skills to work with designers, web developers, editors and Army personnel
- Computer literate with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and social networking websites. Knowledge of InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and web design software is an asset
- Available to travel and accept assignments outside of the office on occasion
- Eager to learn and willing to attend courses, conferences and training sessions to keep qualifications current
- Knowledgeable of research sources and how to use them in preparing articles
- Respect and understanding of The Salvation Army’s mission, culture and values
Skills and Capabilities:
- Must be able to establish credibility quickly within the organization as a trusted reporter
- Able to work in a consultative, diplomatic and tactful manner
- Strong sense of integrity with professional ethics and a balanced sense of fairness and flexibility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – clear and simple to understand
- Effective organizational and time management skills – self-motivated and disciplined self-starter
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
The Salvation Army
2 Overlea Blvd