Black Press Media
|Social Media Reporter
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Posted: January 14, 2022
Deadline: January 31, 2022
Victoria News is seeking a Social Media Reporter
Imagine working in a high-octane, digital-first newsroom. The Victoria News hub, serving six dynamic community news sites and their respective print publications, is seeking a trained journalist to join the newsroom and leverage social media tools and technology to supplement daily reporting. You’ll be joining a news team in a regional hub of 14 journalists and editors in Victoria – a large, progressive city on Vancouver Island that offers all urban amenities as well as outdoor recreation and myriad other lifestyle opportunities. The successful candidate will be a member of the audience development team, working closely with the reporters and editors. Duties include identifying fresh reporting and potential sources in breaking news situations, seeking out the best user-generated content and multimedia to drive online storytelling and display; and regularly looking for new, interesting stories developing among different online communities.
The social media reporter will help develop the Victoria News audience – connecting readers with content and engaging them in conversation. The ideal candidate should be able to identify the conversation starter in every story, and with a clear, credible voice, help build dialogue around our journalism.
- A journalism or communication degree or diploma, and one-plus years of experience in social media management for a media outlet. Reporting or blogging experience strongly preferred.
- Experience building audience through social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and beyond)
- Experience using web analytics
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and environments
- Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada
- Knowledge of video and photo editing platforms a plus
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong team player with desire to collaborate with others
- Experienced with Creator Studio and able to strategically schedule coverage for maximum engagement
- Skilled and comfortable in using Instagram stories and live features to share breaking and timely news
- Experienced with Canva and other editing tools
Black Press is home to some of the most established, well-respected news sites across B.C. and Alberta. From rural voices in Nelson and Williams Lake, to urban voices in Victoria and Surrey, these are the leading newspapers and websites in their respective communities. In print and online, we invest in relevant journalism that impacts the communities we serve.
Black Press also offers a competitive wage package; health, dental, and vision benefits; a commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture; profit-sharing; and pension. This is not a remote position. The newsroom is based in Victoria, B.C.
Apply with a cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Board and resume by Jan. 31 to:
Please also cc:
Editorial Director, Black Press Media
Web address: http://blackpress.ca