|Reporter - Queen's Park
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: January 23, 2023
Are you an experienced journalist with a passion for politics? This is the job for you!
Village Media, a leader in hyperlocal news, is looking for a seasoned journalist to cover Queen’s Park for our growing chain of online news sites across Ontario.
The ideal candidate understands the ins and outs of the Ontario government — from policies and programs, to bills, committee meetings, and the legislative process.
We are looking for a reporter who is creative, curious and full of ideas. We want to hire a journalist who has the writing and reporting skills to cover breaking news quickly and accurately, but also the drive and talent to uncover deeper stories that need to be told — especially stories that have a direct impact on a community we serve.
Our ideal applicant is comfortable speaking with anyone: politicians, bureaucrats, industry stakeholders, lobbyists — and of course, everyday Ontarians impacted by the decisions made at Queen’s Park. At Village Media, we never forget that people are at the heart of our journalism.
The successful candidate for this position has:
- Demonstrated experience in political journalism;
- A solid understanding of the legislative process;
- The ability to understand and articulate policy and emerging political trends;
- The know-how to verify and corroborate information;
- The willingness to work on different types of stories: some that impact all Ontarians, and some that focus on one region of the province;
- A passion for digging up information and asking the difficult questions;
- A willingness to work with our local editors on region-specific stories.
- Are compelled to find stories that matter to our communities;
- Are committed to fairness, accuracy and transparency, and have impeccable ethics;
- Have exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Degree or diploma in journalism, economics, political science, or related experience;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills;
- A thorough knowledge of Canadian Press style;
- Strong photography and video skills;
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends;
- Data analysis skills;
- Bilingualism will be considered a strong asset;
- A valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle and a good driving record are recommended;
- The successful candidate must live in the Greater Toronto Area.
To apply, please submit a cover letter (stating you found this job on Gaulin Media) and resume, along with relevant samples of your work. Applications for all current openings must be submitted through the Village Media Portal.
About Village Media
Village Media is where local news lives — and thrives. An ever-expanding network of community journalism websites, we cover the stories that matter most: the ones right in our backyards. A champion of hyperlocal news and information, Village Media publishes its articles on an innovative content management system (CMS) developed in-house. Born digital, our leading-edge company is a pioneer in its industry, continuously expanding its reach and changing the landscape of online news. Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.