Comox Valley Record
Location: Courtenay, British Columbia
Posted: February 1, 2023
The Comox Valley Record is looking for the next up-and-coming journalist to join its high-caliber news team, based in one of the most beautiful coastal areas of British Columbia.
This position is open for applications from journalists at all points in their career, with plenty of mentorship opportunities for a junior reporter.
About the Comox Valley:
The valley is a bustling region that includes the city of Courtenay, town of Comox and village of Cumberland, as well as smaller communities such as Royston, Union Bay, Fanny Bay, Black Creek and Merville. Residents keep busy exploring the outdoors – both in forests and on beaches – as well as extensive culinary eateries that emphasize locally grown foods.
About Black Press Media:
Black Press Media is a leading local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms.
We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
Our journalists are among the very best in Canada. And we invest in those who excel, offering competitive salary, benefits and pension packages.
The successful candidate holds excellent communication skills and has keen attention to detail. A passion for community storytelling is a must, so too is eagerness to infuse multimedia into daily coverage.
Key attributes and skills include:
- Excellent knowledge of CP Style and proper grammar
- Ability to write in an inverted pyramid style with multiple sources and details pulled from a variety of places.
- Thorough understanding of social media, photography, video and print journalism. Broadcast experience is an asset.
- Understanding of urgency for coverage of breaking news online.
- Initiative and determination to improve and supplement both digital and print platforms.
- Ability to multitask and come up with story pitches
- The successful reporter will be supported by the publisher, as well as local editor and other senior reporters on the team.
Applicants must be able to legally work in Canada and hold a valid driver’s licence. A reliable vehicle and smartphone are required.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send your resume, cover letter (stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board) and story clippings to:
Black Press Media Canadian Division
Group Publisher, Vancouver Island