Black Press Media
|Senior Multimedia Journalist
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Posted: February 2, 2023
Black Press Media is looking for a dedicated senior journalist or editor with a passion for amplifying community stories across a large network of digital and newspaper enterprises.
Our ideal candidate holds experience of exemplary leadership – either as a newsroom editor or mentor to colleagues – as well as unmatched understanding of high-caliber digital storytelling.
The successful candidate will be joining the largest multimedia reporting force of community journalists in Western Canada and be specifically joining our national newsroom. Infusing a rural lens onto provincial reporting is the embodiment of Black Press Media’s journalistic objectives.
About Black Press Media:
Black Press Media is a leading local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms.
We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
Our journalists are among the very best in Canada. And we invest in those who excel, offering competitive salary, benefits and pension packages.
The senior multimedia journalist:
- Works with the head of editorial for Black Press Media’s Canadian Division to coordinate the most important news stories daily.
- Develops story or content ideas, with consideration of reader and audience appeal.
- Produces stories each week as necessary, with a focus on entrepreneurial storytelling.
- Helps ensure newsrooms are utilizing all news sources, such as news releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other media.
- Uses analytical tools to monitor trending stories and maximize readership.
- Maintains daily communication with news network leadership as per digital strategy requirements
- Assists with coordination and curation of investigative series that include cross-newsroom collaboration.
The successful candidate must be a team player and have an innovative mindset. They should be able to multitask, write CP Style under quick deadlines and feel confident in executing meaningful storytelling in a complex digital publishing environment.
Videography skills, including shooting and editing, are integral.
Applicants must be able to legally work in Canada and hold a valid driver’s licence. A reliable vehicle and smartphone are required.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please forward your resume, cover letter stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, and writing sample to:
Black Press Media Canadian Division