Grand Forks Gazette
Location: Grand Forks, British Columbia
Posted: February 2, 2023
Black Press Media has a prime opportunity to begin a career as an editor within the largest reporting force in British Columbia, with a specific focus on Grand Forks, Boundary Creek and the Greenwood communities.
This position is ideal for any journalist looking to collaborate with a passionate publisher in a tight-knit region and champion hyperlocal journalism online daily and through a print publication weekly.
Grand Forks, located in the heart of the Kootenays, is the perfect place to call home for journalists who love the outdoors, eating farm-to-table and enjoys a quaint and diverse arts and entertainment scene.
About Black Press Media:
Black Press Media is a leading North American local news champion with operations across British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Washington State, Alaska, and Hawaii. Over 1,500 talented employees work with us to deliver unique community news and information across a full suite of traditional media channels and digital platforms. We value diverse viewpoints, new ways of thinking and a collaborative approach to delivering results.
We offer competitive salary and benefit packages, as well as the opportunity to advance within the company’s editorial structure. There is also potential for moving allowances and signing bonuses.
The successful applicant will:
Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada. A valid driver’s licence, reliable vehicle and smartphone are mandatory.
- Possess outstanding writing and oral communication skills and a clear understanding of copy-editing, grammar and Canadian Press style.
- The Editor/Journalist is responsible for a wide range of writing assignments, photography, video, social media engagement, and page layout.
- Have flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to meet deadlines in a weekly production environment.
- The editor/journalist works with the publisher, as well as contributing content to sister publications in the region. A proven track record of community interaction and representation of a newspaper or other organization in the community is important.
- Broadcast training and experience is a distinct asset, as well as a working knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and iMovie.
- Assist and lead the ongoing development of website optimization and content, driving immediacy and fresh content.
- Produce quality written articles and video reports, as well as opinion writing.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Those wishing to apply for this position can send their cover letter, stating they found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board, and resume to:
Black Press Media Canadian Division
Group Publisher, Kootenay Division