Okanagan Valley Newspaper Group
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Posted: February 28, 2023
Okanagan Newspaper Group, which includes The Daily Courier in Kelowna, the Penticton Herald, Westside Weekly and other specialty magazines and products, is seeking to hire an experienced and motivated reporter/photographer who is accustomed to working in a fast-paced newsroom environment.
The successful candidate must have the ability to produce news and feature stories on a variety of issues and beats including general news, local government, health and education.
Reporter/photographers are expected to write stories and take photographs with flair, accuracy and speed, meet deadlines, and adhere to CP style.
She/he/they will be an excellent communicator, and be able to give and receive instruction and constructive criticism with good humour.
This is a full-time union position with benefits working Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. with occasional weekend or evening work for breaking news. This is a one-year term position funded by the Local Journalism Initiative and subject to annual renewal. Salary is based on placement in the union wage grid and is commensurate with experience. Starting date is April 3, 2023.
Okanagan Newspaper Group is proudly Canadian owned. Award-winning journalists and innovative product development teams bring engaging content to thousands of readers.
This exceptional content, reach and scope offers advertisers and marketers compelling solutions to effectively reach target audiences. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team.
- Real time experience in a fast-paced newsroom
- Talent for writing unique and comprehensive stories with clarity that capture the essence of an issue
- Excellent grammar, comprehension and editing skills
- Proficiency in CP style
- Ability to quickly rewrite press releases and information from other sources into briefs and post them to the web
- Experience using social media to monitor the community for breaking news and emerging issues
- Ability to compose and shoot high-resolution photographs using a DSLR camera and prepare them for publication using Adobe Photoshop
- Ability to develop ongoing working relationships with key members of the community.
- Strong organizational skills with good attention to detail
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to resolve conflict and solve problems
- Ability to lay out pages using Quark XPress and/or Adobe Indesign is an asset.
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Should you be interested in this opportunity, please forward a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism and resume to:
Kelowna Daily Courier