Yukon News (Black Press)
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posted: March 6, 2023
The Yukon News, a twice-weekly community newspaper based in Whitehorse and known for producing award-winning journalism, has an opening for a full-time multimedia journalist.
As one of five reporters, you’ll be writing breaking news assignments and producing features for our arts, business, life and sports sections.
Yukon News part of the Black Press, Canada’s largest private community news media company with extensive digital and newspaper properties throughout B.C., Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Washington, and Alaska.
The successful candidate will have:
- Outstanding writing skills for print and web.
- Experience covering politics and a proven ability to untangle political spin and produce informative stories that go beyond standard copy
- A demonstrated ability in covering breaking news in an online environment.
- Excellent skills in driving website trafﬁc and audience engagement through superior multimedia news content generation, including SEO and UGC strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of photography, and video shooting and editing. Regular video production is a standard requirement in all Black Press newsrooms.
- The ability to adhere to deadlines and take direction while contributing original story ideas.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, iMovie and Canadian Press style.
- Advanced video and photography skills will be key attributes, along with an extensive knowledge of social media best practices, and comment moderating.
A driver’s licence and reliable transportation are mandatory, and applicants must hold a formal journalism degree or diploma. We offer a strong benefits package. This position involves frequent weekend and evening assignments.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada.
Forward resume, writing samples and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
Stephanie Waddell, editor