|Alberta Legislative Reporter/Bureau Chief
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posted: September 28, 2023
Salary: $45K - $65K
The Western Standard is hiring a new Alberta Legislative Reporter or Bureau Chief in Edmonton, Alberta.
This position is based at the Legislative Assembly Building in Edmonton, Alberta.
The Western Standard produces a high volume of news and opinion content on a daily basis.
Reporting and Parameters:
The Reporter or Bureau Chief reports directly to the News Editor.
He or she will have their performance reviewed on an annual basis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Write frequent and compelling news copy with a rapid turn-around.
- Participate in press conferences and other media events to provide relevant and informative copy.
- Use the Freedom of Information Act and other tools available to obtain compelling and important content for news copy.
- Oversee and edit the copy of the Employees and Contractors in the News Division’s Bureau.
- Assist Opinion & Broadcast Editor is the management of opinion columnists related to the News Division’s Bureau.
- Meet with the News Editor and subordinate Employees and Contractors to assess the direction of the News Division bureau, develop short-and-long-term goals, and ensure compliance with the Western Standard’s Editorial Principles.
- Listen to the viewpoints and reports of the News Division’s bureau Employees and Contractors.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of the Western Standard’s readership and editorial metrics.
- Maintain a reasonable and professional social media presence.
- Maintain the integrity, truthfulness, standards, and brand of the Company.
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Edmonton, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)Work
- A Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or communications is preferred but not required.
- Five to eight years’ industry experience.
- Passion for writing and editing interesting copy.
- A portfolio of published copy.
- Strong knowledge of the media process and industry.
- Excellent communications and research skills.
- Flexible Language Requirement: French not required
Interested candidates should send resume, clippings and a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
1100 - 717 7 AVE SW
Tel: (403) 999-5421
Web address: http://www.westernstandard.news