City of St. Catharines
|Corporate Communications Officer
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Posted: November 16, 2023
Salary: $65,091 - $73,093
Summary of Duties:
Reporting to the Manager of Corporate Communications, the Corporate Communications Officer supports the education, awareness and promotion of City programs, services and events through external communication, media relations and public engagement activities. Working as part of a team, the Communications Officer protects the City’s reputation and builds community trust through accurate, timely, and accessible communication.
Duties and Responsibilities
(These set out the principal functions of the position, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements).
- Create content for the City’s corporate website, updating as required, to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Edit and approve website content submitted by departmental web editors.
- Write content for the City’s internal and external newsletters through independent research and interviews with staff, and take photographs.
- Maintain the City’s social media accounts and develop strategies to increase its social media presence by tailoring content to various audiences and platforms.
- Write news releases, media advisories and public service announcements.
- Liaise with and respond to requests from members of the media. Coach staff in media relations and responding to media questions.
- Collaborate with departmental staff to create communications and public engagement plans that increase public awareness, engagement and participation.
- Maintain City images and video database.
- Serve as an alternate Emergency Information Officer in the absence of the Corporate Communications Manager.
- Perform other similar and related duties as required.
- College diploma in journalism, public relations, communications, political science, marketing or related discipline.
- Three to five years of progressive experience in communications, public relations, or journalism preferably in a municipal environment.
- Experience in media relations and preparing others to respond to the media.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience in press release writing in a news-ready format.
- Knowledge of municipal government procedures, policies and governance.
- Understanding of crisis communications and issues management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Press Style Guide(s), AODA accessibility requirements, and plain language techniques.
- Proven customer service skills with the ability to work in a team environment and liaison with key internal and external partners.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to prioritize and organize work to meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with website content management systems, and social media management systems including Google Analytics, Google maps creation, Business Manager, Tweet Deck, YouTube Studio, and Hoot Suite.
- Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, digital media software including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Premiere Pro (Creative Suite) and enewsletter software such as Constant Contact.
- Availability to work flexible hours.
- A demonstrated commitment to enhancing a safety culture.
- Proven completion of Ministry of Labour Worker Health and Safety Awareness training.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s licence, Class G, with a clean driving record.
- Pay Group 8 – Minimum $65,091 annually; Maximum $73,093 annually
- Expected Work Location: City Hall (eligible for part-time remote work)
- Hours of Work: Currently Monday-Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
The City of St. Catharines is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Division to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.
Applications will be accepted online at www.stcatharines.ca/jobs. Applications received any other way will not be accepted. Please state in your application that you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board.